ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

FCP-AFX-FCP rountrip with XDCAM EX, ProResHQ, DNxHD

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John PilgrimFCP-AFX-FCP rountrip with XDCAM EX, ProResHQ, DNxHD
by on Oct 10, 2009 at 7:44:57 pm

So I finally spent some time trying to make sense of the options and to validate a FCP-AFX-FCP roundtrip workflow,
to send XDCAM EX mov files from FCP to AFX, and return either ProResHQ or DNxHD renders back from AFX to FCP.

It had been frustrating not having the clips show with the correct gamma in either or both AFX and FCP,
at least without adding a gamma adjustment effect to the footage.

Below are the results. I'm curious for someone to explain the last two lines:
Why does DNxHD not need a gamma correction back in FCP, but ProResHQ does?

I could turn Match Legacy AE QT Gamma Adjustments on, but the Adobe literature says that will result in clipping superwhites.
Thoughts?

John
SF, CA

Return to posts index

Chris WrightRe: FCP-AFX-FCP rountrip with XDCAM EX, ProResHQ, DNxHD
by on Oct 10, 2009 at 8:07:44 pm

There is a way to force AE to interpret certain codec's gamma flags correctly according to their fourcc tab.

C:\Documents and Settings\name\Application Data\Adobe\Common\MediaCoreQTGammaRulesCS4.xml

http://technicolorsoftware.hostzi.com/

Return to posts index

John PilgrimRe: FCP-AFX-FCP roundtrip with XDCAM EX, ProResHQ, DNxHD
by on Oct 10, 2009 at 8:15:41 pm

Yes, I've seen that. I'm trying to set up a workflow that doesn't require quite that level of system hacking. Some of my AFX artists will be remote and I want settings that can be inspected and validated in the project file itself.

John

Return to posts index

Chris WrightRe: FCP-AFX-FCP roundtrip with XDCAM EX, ProResHQ, DNxHD
by on Oct 10, 2009 at 9:07:26 pm

You could always use fourcc reader to apply a older fourcc code to the codec itself that way all the client's AE would think it was a different codec but the gamma is interpreted correct.

http://technicolorsoftware.hostzi.com/

Return to posts index

John PilgrimRe: FCP-AFX-FCP roundtrip with XDCAM EX, ProResHQ, DNxHD
by on Oct 12, 2009 at 5:44:16 pm

Another insightful workflow, thanks!

Let me reiterate again, I'm working to validate a FCP-AFX-FCP workflow, specifically one whose settings can be inspected within the AFX project file itself.

Mods to AFX program settings files or to the media files adds another layer of variability that isn't feasible in the current project.

John

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]