ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

3D objects from Photoshop

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Roberts
3D objects from Photoshop
on Oct 10, 2009 at 3:44:25 pm

I'm looking through the After Effects help topics, but as often happens can't find the answer to a very basic question in a basic form: can you bring in a 3D object from photoshop and place it in 3D space in Ae, and be able to rotate it of rotate the camera around it? I don't mind it being complex to acheive, I just like to know it can be done before I start wading through so much reading up.

I can build it in After Effects by bring in each surface as a flat image and positioning them in 3D (and parenting all other sides to one surface), but this takes a while to set up and isn't quite as "solid" as the 3D objects in Ps are. I also wonder which would be more taxing to render.

I like the way they turn out in Photoshop as 3D models, but if I can't take the results into a 3D After Effects composition then there's not much point in creating them. So far my attempts to import a Ps file as "live 3D" have resulted in a flat picture of how the object looked when the file was saved in Ps.
Not very useful.

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
Re: 3D objects from Photoshop
on Oct 10, 2009 at 6:15:15 pm

> can you bring in a 3D object from photoshop and place it in 3D space in Ae

Yes.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

James Roberts
on Oct 10, 2009 at 6:41:31 pm

I guess I asked for a basic answer, but since I'm not finding it easily achieved, the real question is can it be rotated or rotated around and be interpreted as, say, a six-sided box shape with proper depth when the camera is animated. What it's doing now I could achieve by importing a regular flat Ps image and clicking on 3D. I'd like to create objects in Ps that can placed in a composition then animate the camera around them.

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Oct 10, 2009 at 6:47:52 pm

There's a video tutorial linked to from the top of this page. Let me know if you need help after watching that.

Also, note this very important paragraph:
"The live Photoshop 3D layer in After Effects contains several expressions, which are used to attach it to a null layer. Use the null layer to manipulate the live Photoshop 3D layer, rather than directly manipulating the live Photoshop 3D layer’s Transform properties."

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

James Roberts
on Oct 12, 2009 at 12:02:47 pm

Ok, it's starting to become a bit clearer. It's not perhaps the most intuitive function in Ae, but I think I see why it's set up that way.

It's never as simple as importing a Photoshop file that's 3D, then dropping it into an Ae comp and flying the camera around it at all angles. It has to be rotated within it's own sub composition, and is then brought into other comps as a 2D representation of the 3D object.

At least that's where I'm at with it now. It would take a little more planning and setup to use these items the way I had in mind, but I see how it could be done.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]