ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

how to have layers below adjustment layers unaffected

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eugene Hooperhow to have layers below adjustment layers unaffected
by on Oct 10, 2009 at 3:45:26 am

Hey guys, I've got a what should be a simple fix but it's driving me f***'n crazy. Ive got quite a complicated comp with a handful of layers. On the top I have an adjustment layer with some colour correction settings applied. It gives my night scene a nice bluish tint. However, I have a moon with a mad outer glow within the comp and would like to know how to make it so that it remains unaffected by the adjustment layer on top. With the adj layer it colours my yellow moon blue, and my sweet outer glow is subdued quite a bit.

You may ask why not simply place the moon layer atop the adj layer? I can't for I have trees that somewhat obscure the moon layer, and I wish for these trees to be affected by the adj layer. So I can't place my moon above the adj layer without appearing in front of my trees. There are other layers in the comp that prevent me from ordering the layers in any other way as this upsets the specific colour graded look that I have achieved. But this is the gist of it:

[Adjustment Layer] -colour correction, effects

[Trees -vector]

[Moon - vector]

If someone can tell me an easy fix to this I'd appreciate it greatly! Just to note, I have done things like adding the colour correction + effects directly to the trees then placing Moon behind it but this doesn't give the same effect due to having other layers such as overlayed textures and images with various blending modes, and it just doesn't seem to give the same look no matter how I order the elements. So once again, if there is a simple fix / switch I'm missing please let me know.

Thanks in advance :)

Macbook 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM

Return to posts index

Xinlai NiRe: how to have layers below adjustment layers unaffected
by on Oct 10, 2009 at 8:43:19 am

precompose adj-layer and the layers that you want the adj-layer to affect, then put the moon layer below the precomp

Xinlai Ni

Return to posts index

Brent SmithRe: how to have layers below adjustment layers unaffected
by on Oct 12, 2009 at 4:12:12 pm

Instead of using an adj layer, copy the effects that you've applied to the adj layer and paste to the layers that you want to be affected. Then delete or hide the adjustment layer so it doesn't affect your moon.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved