ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Fast editing effect

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Holland
Fast editing effect
on Oct 7, 2009 at 11:41:03 pm

Hey everyone.

I'm new to Adobe After Effects and I need your help.

I'm looking to do fast editing/cutting (?) for a video so that different moving images flash over each other. I'm not quite sure of the technical name for it but I've posted a link below so you can see the effect that I am trying to achieve. The effect is in the first 10 seconds of the video (be warned; the video gets quite graphic as it goes on, although I'm sure you'll love it.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u07F8jMH_VY

Sorry if this sounds vague, but just a general idea of what After Effects tools I'd need to use, and maybe a quick explanation of how to use them in the context of this effect, would be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks in advance

Paul

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Fast editing effect
on Oct 8, 2009 at 3:17:13 pm

Sorry, but the link you provided simply takes my computer to your post again. I can't see anything.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Paul Holland
on Oct 8, 2009 at 4:25:23 pm

Hi David,

Apologies for the bad link. Hopefully this works!

Regards,

Paul

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 8, 2009 at 5:21:46 pm

Joey's right -- it's much easier to do this in an editing application. Since all the quick cuts are stills in your example, you can prep the still frames in Photoshop if you'd like.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Joey Burnham
on Oct 8, 2009 at 4:57:42 pm

I wouldn't suggest AE for this but it's capable. All it is is cutting 1 different frame of footage every frame from 2 different sources. Much easier in an NLE than AE.
Joey

Return to posts index

Paul Holland
on Oct 8, 2009 at 7:39:40 pm

Thank you both for your help and advice. It's much appreciated!

I've found Pinnacle VideoSpin and Videothang. But before I give them a try I was just wondering if there's any other software you would recommend?

Regards

Paul

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 8, 2009 at 8:14:08 pm

That's hard to say -- what do you want to DO? Answer that, and we can give you better answers.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Paul Holland
on Oct 8, 2009 at 9:32:33 pm

Well, I'm doing my own music video and there's parts of the song where fast cuts - such as in the example video - would really suit it.

So really I just plan on having various clips edited together with occasional fast cuts thrown in at various points.

Hope that's not a too vague of an answer.

Regards

Paul

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 8, 2009 at 9:52:07 pm

How do you intend to show the completed project to people, and what are you going to use to shoot it?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Paul Holland
on Oct 8, 2009 at 11:13:32 pm

It's a video for one of my own songs so I'll put it on Youtube, Facebook and Myspace. I'm going to put it in with my portfolio for university too, so it will go on DVD.
I'm also going to look around for any future amateur music video festivals and if my finished project is good enough I will submit it.

I'm shooting the footage on a Canon MD205 MiniDV camera. It's all amateur equipment. But I'm using that in my favour by making something that suits the camera quality and my current technical abilities so it doesn't end up looking tacky.

Regards

Paul

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 9, 2009 at 4:46:10 pm

Gotcha. You should be okay with a freebie editing application, I guess.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Oct 8, 2009 at 10:19:08 pm

the strobe light effect in ae can be set to make a layer transparent, so it would be very easy to throw 2 clips into a comp, add strobe to the top layer, set it to affect transparency an set the duration to one frame's duration (1/30) and period to double that (2/30).

but i would render those comps and edit in an nle. too much editing in ae will drive you nuts. it's just not what it was designed to do.

i guess i would start in the nle. do a rough cut. the portions you want to effect in ae, i would export out or just create in ae, render and bring into the nle.... but if you wanted to experiment some in ae first, try the strobe light effect.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Paul Holland
on Oct 8, 2009 at 11:54:33 pm

Hi Kevin,

Thank you for your suggestion. I'll give that a try!

Regards

Paul

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]