ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Creating sky writing effect in AfterEffects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alana ReesCreating sky writing effect in AfterEffects
by on Oct 7, 2009 at 8:48:05 pm

I'm using AfterEffects CS4 and am trying to create a sky writing effect on a blue sky. We would like it to look as if the text was written on like sky writing and is not starting to dissolve. I've created on version using Trapcode Particular but am wondering if anyone has other suggestions that may create a look that is more wispy, less cloudy. Any ideas or tutorials would be greatly appreciate.

Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Creating sky writing effect in AfterEffects
by on Oct 7, 2009 at 9:04:17 pm

I used to have Particular, and I seem to recall a preset that could make wispy smoke instead of puffy clouds. Perhaps you can split the difference between the two settings?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

david bogieRe: Creating sky writing effect in AfterEffects
by on Oct 7, 2009 at 10:33:17 pm

Needlessly pedantic post: Skywriting comes in two forms, traditional and high efficiency. Realism determines which you might wish to apply, determined by your need for a practical illusion.

Traditional style was drawn by a single aircraft doing complex loops that required a long time to perform. By the time one word was complete, air currents had dissolved it away.

The newer method uses six or eight aircraft flying in tight formation. Computer-controlled smoke systems lay out a series of dots or dashes of smoke to create digital alphanumerics. It is lifeless but practical.

This same deployment can also be done with a single aircraft if the wings are wide enough or it can tow a smoke creation system.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved