ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

HD Workflow AE and Premiere - searching the best codec

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bjorn Vije
HD Workflow AE and Premiere - searching the best codec
on Oct 6, 2009 at 9:33:51 pm

At the moment I'm working on a project which is an instruction movie for barbers. It's about how to colour hair the best way.
We've shot or footage with the Sony EX-1 and working in full HD (1920x1080 square pixels 25f/s) in premiere.
During the movie there are a lot of shots where a hair color product 'slides' into view en the 'slides' out again. Typically this kind of shots have a duration of 5 seconds.
I'm making these product shots in AE (also in full HD) but then I have to export them out to premiere. And that's where my question comes into view.
I have to export out in full HD with an alpha channel (very important). But the only codec I've found so far is uncompressed AVI (that's the only one i've found that supports an alpha channel).
So for a typical product shot clip of 5 seconds I've got a clip with a size of 1 or 2 GB.
Storage is not the problem so I don't care, but Premiere thinks differently. I've got a lot of these clips and they're really slowing Premiere down. At this moment I've reached a point where premiere will crash every 15 minutes when working in this project.
I really think the problem lies within these huge clip sizes because I don't have this problem with other projects who contain less AE clips.

So keeping the above story in mind... What is the best codec to export in AE in full HD with alpha channel. Apparently size does matter because premiere crashes when I make the files to big.

Any input would be gratly appreciated
Thank, Bjorn Vije

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
Re: HD Workflow AE and Premiere - searching the best codec
on Oct 6, 2009 at 10:23:14 pm

Here's a short list, but you can skip all this and just use Adobe's dynamic link or proxies.

-free codecs
-4:4:4 8 bit
quicktime animation
quicktime jpeg2000
uncompressed non RLE

-image sequence
tiff lzw off millions 8 bit or trillions 16bit
PSD millions 8 bit or trillions 16bit

-buy
4:4:4
16 bit
Sheer Codec