ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Composition Settings

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kate KoyamaComposition Settings
by on Oct 6, 2009 at 3:08:42 pm

Could anyone, please, explain to me the differences between the compositions presets?

I would like to know which preset goes best with which end (tv, projector, computer projection, etc)

Thanks so much!!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Composition Settings
by on Oct 6, 2009 at 6:08:05 pm

[Kate Koyama] "I would like to know which preset goes best with which end (tv, projector, computer projection, etc) "

Ah, if there was just a single set of answers to this, the world would be a much simpler place. Unfortunately, not every comp preset covers every situation.

For example, AE is frequently used in situations where there are multiple video projectors, working in unison to create a single, seamless and very wide image. AE's also used to create animations for mobile devices like Blackberries. It can work with 2K and 4K image sequences, often used in feture films. It can make stuff for... oh, animated billboards, and you NEVER know what to expect from them!

So as much as you'd like to have one simple, easily-remembered set of instructions to cover all contingencies, I'm afraid such a thing doesn't exist. AE is just too darned flexible.

Perhaps someone with greater knowledge than mine can help, and I hope they do.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Steve RobertsRe: Composition Settings
by on Oct 6, 2009 at 8:54:30 pm

Indeed.

If you have a specific staging-equipment-related question, you should check out the Staging and Events COW.

Other than that, the old caveat applies: find out from the client on what type of machine the video is being played, not projected. Betacam video deck? DVD player? Hard drive? This is the most relevant, though not only, question.

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Composition Settings
by on Oct 7, 2009 at 2:49:27 am

As Steve and Dave indicate, there are a lot of factors to consider.

If you know the specifications of the playback device, you're much of the way there. The only way to be sure is to test, of course.

Perhaps this section will help: "Planning your work". It talks about how to plan your project with your final delivery specifications in mind, and it points to a great article from Aharon here on the COW about how to do some tests to make sure that you've got things set up right---before you waste a lot of time working at the wrong settings.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]