ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Laggy particles (CCParticle World)

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Paul
Laggy particles (CCParticle World)
on Oct 6, 2009 at 2:16:14 pm

Has anyone of you ever experienced particles done in CCParticle World which are lagging?

It's like they are standing still for just one frame while they are in motion and then just keep on moving thus creating a lagging effect.
I can't really figure out how to fix this at all. My res is 2048x768 25fps 16 bpc.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Laggy particles (CCParticle World)
on Oct 6, 2009 at 3:26:38 pm

Since you don't say WHEN you're seeing this (Ram Preview, rendered file, hitting the space bar -- a rookie mistake), It's extremely difficult to diagnose what the problem might be.

That siad, there are two common offenders:

Got Open GL turned on to speed rendering? Turn it off -- it does more harm than good. The guys at Adobe don't even use it. Now, that's a clue if there ever was one.

Using footage from an HDV camera? Read on:

Dave's Stock Answer #1:

If the footage you imported into AE is any kind of the following -- footage in an HDV acquisition codec, MPEG1, MPEG2, mp4, m2t, H.261 or H.264 -- you need to convert it to a different codec.

These kinds of footage use temporal, or interframe compression. They have keyframes at regular intervals, containing complete frame information. However, the frames in between do NOT have complete information. Interframe codecs toss out duplicated information.

In order to maintain peak rendering efficiency, AE needs complete information for each and every frame. But because these kinds of footage contain only partial information, AE freaks out, resulting in a wide variety of problems.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Michael Paul
on Oct 7, 2009 at 8:58:45 am

I get the problem inside AE already it seems and thus when I export (TGA). I'm not exactly sure what you mean by speed rendering but I assume you mean Preferences - Fast Preview where I've disabled OpenGL already. Or what exactly is speed rendering?

I am using something by Andrew Kramer called VIDEO STREAMS HD (Design_09 if anybody bought VIDEO STREAMS HD as well) and even the MOV he provided seem laggy to me. I don't get this. So when I export the project file it doesn't look any different from his MOV.
MAYBE this is just the way CCParticle World behaves and you can't get very fluid results?

Thanks a lot for the fast replies and help already

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 7, 2009 at 2:56:12 pm

You still haven't told us WHEN you see this lagging. Do you see it it on a RAM Preview? When you hit the space bar? When you're looking at a completed file in a media viewer? Tell us that, and we'll be able to tell you more, okay?

I guess you just skimmed over my earlier reply. There is no such term as "speed rendering". Adobe once touted Open GL as a way to make rendering faster... but since everyone's discovered that it frequently does more harm than good, most everyone simply turns off Open GL for rendering.

I almost forgot this: some effects just take more time to render. I don't often use CC Particle World, but it wouldn't surprise me to learn that it's one of those effects. Other things that increase render time are 3D layers, multiple lights, and Motion Blur... and these are particularly time-consuming when combined.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Michael Paul
on Oct 7, 2009 at 3:15:54 pm

I've said "I get the problem inside AE already it seems and thus when I export (TGA)"

so yes I see it when I make a preview inside AE and I see it when I export it as any file and look at the export for example a TGA sequence and look at this sequence afterwards in a lot of different programs (AE/fusion/quick time).

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 7, 2009 at 3:21:52 pm

It sounds like your computer can't keep up with the bitrate of either your RAM Previews or your TGA sequences. What do you have?

If you're trying to do HD on a laptop or something, you'll have problems.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Michael Paul
on Oct 7, 2009 at 3:27:06 pm

Thanks a lot for such a fast reply. I'm actually on XP 64bit AMD Opteron 2.21 GHz 3.00 GB Ram.
The thing is: I've looked at Andrew Kramer's mov where he uses the particles (prerendered footage) and that looks as laggy as what I get myself with CC Particle World.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 7, 2009 at 3:39:05 pm

[Michael Paul] "Ie looked at Andrew Kramer's mov where he uses the particles (prerendered footage) and that looks as laggy..."

Never seen it. Have you tried opening the Information window in AE, doing a RAM Preview, and seeing the frame rate it's playing back? Here, Read about it:

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/AfterEffects/9.0/WS3878526689cb91655866c1103906...

Use your browser's search function to find the phrase info panel.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Oct 6, 2009 at 9:02:44 pm

in addition to what dave mentions, try edit>purge>all. sometimes old data can get cached and cause issues like what you described, purging everything can often help. if it persists, try a reboot.

if a reboot doesn't help, it may be that cc particle world has an issue (i've found issues with it's 3d depth sort, where particles that are obviously further back in space appear in front for some reason). try modifying the birthrate just a little to see if that can overcome/avoid the problem.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]