ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

AE 7 Audio Sync

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff Breuer
AE 7 Audio Sync
on Oct 5, 2009 at 7:21:25 pm

Hello - I am editing a narrated animation in AE v.7 and the audio is out of sync when I do a RAM preview.

If I isolate the audio playback by hitting "." it plays fine with the playback head in the appropriate position. When I do a RAM preview with my video, I know the playback head is not playing the audio where it should (eg the audio ends before the head reaches the end of the clip). Timing the audio to the visuals is important. There are Comps within Comps and the audio is from a .mov file ported over from Final Cut.

Thanks!

After Effects V. 7
Mac/OS 10.5.8
2 X 2.66 Processor
4G RAM

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: AE 7 Audio Sync
on Oct 5, 2009 at 7:43:56 pm

Make sure the Information window is visible when you do a RAM Preview. If it's anything other than the comp's frame rate, the window will say something like, "NOT Real Time".

Chances are that you'll want to reduce the comp window's resolution to half, and the its size to 50% to get it to preview in real time.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jeff Breuer
on Oct 5, 2009 at 7:54:47 pm

You are right on about the Info Window - I'm not running at real time. However, I lowered my Comp Window to 33.3% and dropped the resolution to 1/3 and I still run into the same issue. Any thoughts?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 5, 2009 at 8:05:42 pm

[Jeff Breuer] "Any thoughts? "

Only one more: if you're using footage from an HDV camera, you ned to convert it to a different codec. AE doesn't like HDV footage. Come to think of it, it doesn't like quite a number of compressions schemes. Read this:

Dave's Stock Answer #1:

If the footage you imported into AE is any kind of the following -- footage in an HDV acquisition codec, MPEG1, MPEG2, mp4, m2t, H.261 or H.264 -- you need to convert it to a different codec.

These kinds of footage use temporal, or interframe compression. They have keyframes at regular intervals, containing complete frame information. However, the frames in between do NOT have complete information. Interframe codecs toss out duplicated information.

In order to maintain peak rendering efficiency, AE needs complete information for each and every frame. But because these kinds of footage contain only partial information, AE freaks out, resulting in a wide variety of problems.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Jeff Breuer
on Oct 5, 2009 at 8:30:40 pm

I had H.264 footage in my project, but not in any of the comps I was using. To be safe I went ahead and deleted them from my project to see, and I converted my .mov Voice Over file into a .aiff.....but didn't change a thing when I did a new RAM preview.

Any chance this has to do with a Memory, cache or scratch disk issue? I lowered mine according to recomendations Graham Jones made for running AE 7 on an Intel Mac. I boosted them back up to 90% and 80% just to see if it made a change, but nothing.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 5, 2009 at 9:12:15 pm

Here's the last thing I can think of. After This, somebody else will have to figure it out.

The audio may also be compressed, as in an mp3 or ac3. AE only likes uncompressed audio, like aiff or wav. Convert any compressed audio to that.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Jeff Breuer
on Oct 5, 2009 at 11:50:20 pm

I switched my VO over to an aiff file when I ripped out all of the movie files. Darn.

Regardless, thanks for your help. I certainly appreciated it.

Jeff

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]