ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Embedded movies played, but now after rendering (and other problems)

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David DelgadoEmbedded movies played, but now after rendering (and other problems)
by on Oct 2, 2009 at 5:13:01 pm

I'm doing a pseudo kinetic typography project. It is pretty simple, as the text isn't animated - the camera is the only thing that moves around it 3D space. Every once in a while there is also a movie clip (.mov) the camera moves to.

Everything was working fine. In RAM Preview it looked great, the video was playing fine, etc.
Then I exported it.
The exported file looked great the 1st 5 seconds, then when it got to the 1st movie clip the video wasn't playing and was just frozen on one part of the image. Then, the text lost the clarity it had in the 1st 5 seconds and became fuzzy. All of the other videos are responding in the same way as the first. Now, even when editing, the video doesn't play correctly and is just frozen in place.

To give you an idea of what I'm doing, my workflow includes a final composition, then several sub compositions. There are six sub compositions to make it less complicated, and then those 6 are placed in order in the "final composition." It isn't even certain comps that are doing this - it starts about 1/2 way through the 3rd.

No idea what is going on. Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to be thorough and I would appreciate any help. Let me know if any other information would be pertinent.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Embedded movies played, but now after rendering (and other problems)
by on Oct 2, 2009 at 6:43:27 pm

[David Delgado] "In RAM Preview it looked great, the video was playing fine, etc.... The exported file looked great the 1st 5 seconds, then when it got to the 1st movie clip the video wasn't playing and was just frozen on one part of the image"

I can think of two different pitfalls.

The first: got Open GL on when you render? Turn it off and leave it off: Open GL screws up AE Renders. Even the guys at Adobe don't use it for rendering, which should be a HUGE clue for you.

The second: are you using video straight from an HDV camera? Very bad choice. Check the codec of the footage -- ".mov" is NOT a codec, it's a media container -- highlight the questionable footage in the project window, and read the information at the top. Then read this:

Dave's Stock Answer #1:

If the footage you imported into AE is any kind of the following -- footage in an HDV acquisition codec, MPEG1, MPEG2, mp4, m2t, H.261 or H.264 -- you need to convert it to a different codec.

These kinds of footage use temporal, or interframe compression. They have keyframes at regular intervals, containing complete frame information. However, the frames in between do NOT have complete information. Interframe codecs toss out duplicated information.

In order to maintain peak rendering efficiency, AE needs complete information for each and every frame. But because these kinds of footage contain only partial information, AE freaks out, resulting in a wide variety of problems.

-----------------------------

Finally, you really need to get out of the habit of exporting and get into the habit of Rendering using AE's Render Queue.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

David DelgadoRe: Embedded movies played, but now after rendering (and other problems)
by on Oct 2, 2009 at 6:59:39 pm

Thank you for the very thorough answer.

"The first: got Open GL on when you render? Turn it off and leave it off: Open GL screws up AE Renders. Even the guys at Adobe don't use it for rendering, which should be a HUGE clue for you."
This is fine.

"If the footage you imported into AE is any kind of the following -- footage in an HDV acquisition codec, MPEG1, MPEG2, mp4, m2t, H.261 or H.264 -- you need to convert it to a different codec."
This seems like it would be the problem. The codec is H.264. Which codec do you recommend I export from (using Final Cut)?
Would this effect the words getting fuzzy at a certain point also? Or did that just happen because the video messed up.

"Finally, you really need to get out of the habit of exporting and get into the habit of Rendering using AE's Render Queue."
I tried both, thinking that might be the problem. I usually do use the Render Queue.

I really appreciate the help, thanks again.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Embedded movies played, but now after rendering (and other problems)
by on Oct 2, 2009 at 7:25:06 pm

[David Delgado] "Which codec do you recommend I export from (using Final Cut)? "

If -- and ONLY if -- you use the same machine for both FCP and AE, you'd do well to capture the video again as ProRes. If you can't, preserve as much quality as you can by exporting in either QT's Animation Codec or the PNG codec.... NOT a PNG sequence, but a QT Movie using the PNG codec. Both are lossless.

[David Delgado] "Would this effect the words getting fuzzy at a certain point also? "

It sure could. But if you're rendering to something like DV, you'll have fits, too. DV treats nice, sharp graphics the way a baby treats a diaper.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

David DelgadoRe: Embedded movies played, but now after rendering (and other problems)
by on Oct 5, 2009 at 6:19:45 pm

Dave - thanks again for all the help.

Video works beautifully now - but at that same point in time the text looks fuzzy yet again.
I'm rendering to .mov, and for the first 1/4 the text looks nice and sharp.
This does not just occur in sections with video in it (6 sections, 3rd has video in it, 1-3 are sharp, 4-6 fuzzy).

Any ideas?
Much appreciated.

(By the way, decided to go the PNG codec route, and to reiterate all video looks wonderful)

Return to posts index

by on Oct 5, 2009 at 8:12:54 pm

[David Delgado] "I'm rendering to .mov..."

All that means is that you're making a quicktime movie, which is a media container. It tells no one a thing about the codec you're using to compress the media that will be contained in the quicktime.

Without knowing the codec you're using, it's impossible to know what's wrong. Why don't you just render out a QT with PNG compression?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]