ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

300 dpi video?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jessica Robbins300 dpi video?
by on Oct 2, 2009 at 2:56:38 pm

My client is under the impression you can make a video 300 dpi? I am pretty sure that is not possible.

But just in case, is there a way to adjust dpi in AE?

Thanks-
Jessica

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: 300 dpi video?
by on Oct 2, 2009 at 3:13:27 pm

Oh, how to put this delicately.... ah, here we are: your client received bad information. In the electronic visual media world, we have to work by a standard set of horizontal and vertical resolutions. These resolutions define things like standard definition and high definition TV.

The current highest resolution in TV Land is a 16x9, 1920x1080 picture, for both cameras and display devices. Since broadcast media has no concept of the term, "dots per inch", aka dpi, but only a standard set of resolutions, the dpi figure varies. If you display an HD picture on a 6.4-inch by 3.6 inch screen, it will display 300 dpi. If you show the same image on a HUGE outdoor screen -- let's say 160 ft. by 90 ft. -- you're looking at a 1 dpi picture.

The print and photography world isn't nearly as constrained -- they can use far higher resolutions than we in electronic media.

Does that help?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jessica RobbinsRe: 300 dpi video?
by on Oct 2, 2009 at 3:53:07 pm

Dave,

I am totally on the same page as you on this. I just needed to make sure I was not crazy.

The set-up is the daktronics display which asks for video at 512 x 280. The actual display is close to 6 feet wide by 6.5 feet tall. The client is concerned with "crispness" of course.

Would making a the video bigger res help this situation. The file is uncompressed and I think the client is just getting things mixed in his head. It should come out crisp if I use the uncompressed AVI at the dimensions the guide calls for correct?

I am of course going to contact the display company and look into it.
Thanks for everything as always.
-Jessica

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: 300 dpi video?
by on Oct 2, 2009 at 5:01:12 pm

[Jessica Robbins] "The set-up is the daktronics display which asks for video at 512 x 280. The actual display is close to 6 feet wide by 6.5 feet tall."

Sorry, I have never heard of this display device... but why is the display a little taller than it is wide? That's a head-scratcher. And why does this thing only accept such low-resolution video? That's weird, too.

Can you talk to the people who are actually providing the gear and setting up the hardware to get some straight answers?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: 300 dpi video?
by on Oct 2, 2009 at 5:21:59 pm

I am guessing that this is an LED product? I always recommend designing at the exact pixel size of a custom display like this. The display is the limiting factor. Making your video at a higher resolution will not get you any more pixels on the display. It will force the video processor to scale the image down, which it may not handle well.

What's the physical size of the display? The aspect ratios you listed in pixels and feet don't match. Assuming you meant nearly 12' wide by 6.5' tall, I'd think this would look fine to a viewer about 30' away from the sign. Signs like this are designed to be viewed from a distance; if you are too close, your eye can resolve the individual pixels.

Walter Soyka, Principal
Keen Live, Inc.
Presentation, Motion Graphics & Widescreen Design
RenderBreak: A Blog on Innovation in Production

Return to posts index

by on Oct 2, 2009 at 5:56:55 pm

Well, I did get in touch the the company. It is an LED product with a 512 x 280 size. They said anything larger than that would be cropped off.

thanks for the info about viewing length.

Return to posts index

david bogieRe: 300 dpi video?
by on Oct 2, 2009 at 7:30:43 pm

[Jessica Robbins] "It is an LED product with a 512 x 280 size."

You can easily create an AE project of precisely these pixel dimensions. However, this is ultra low resolution and you should carefully explain this to your client. Also suggest you ask if the display outfit can give you some demo files.

bogiesan

Return to posts index

by on Oct 2, 2009 at 8:21:18 pm

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Ryan PostelRe: 300 dpi video?
by on Nov 6, 2009 at 7:50:14 pm

I used to do a lot of designing for Daktronics signs. The client definitely needs to know the correct viewing distance initially in order to give fair judgements of these very low res videos/animations. They always seem to think they are watching a big TV and that the resolution should be the same. But viewing them from across the street (or wherever your sign is) really helps.

As far as comp design, definitely always use the exact pixel ratio, because that will be the best for their system that plays the videos which is pretty rudimentary.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]