ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

SD composition to HD export

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrew RobinsonSD composition to HD export
by on Oct 2, 2009 at 9:36:54 am

Hey guys/girls.

I have created an SD composition with hi-rez source images for a big client. I created the project in SD as they wanted the finished film on DVD. However, now they want a HD version and as the source images are HD, I should be able to create a HD video output. BUT I would like it to be TRUE HD, not just SD stretched into HD. If I go into the composition settings and adjust them into HD resolution, it creates a mess of the project (I used a lot of 3D layers)

So does anyone know if I export the SD project as HD rez, would it just stretch the SD composition, or would it use all the available source data to create a true HD video?

If it just stretches the SD Image, does anyone know of a way to convert the SD project into a HD project without spending days rescaling/repositioning everything?

(I hope this is clear to understand?!?!? really sleepy today. zzzzz)

Much thanks to anyone who can help me out!

Return to posts index

Brian DeViteriRe: SD composition to HD export
by on Oct 2, 2009 at 1:34:26 pm

You can attempt to "collapse transformations" by placing your SD comp timeline into a new HD comp timeline and check the results, however this does NOT work accurately for intense graphics and has problems with nested comps and 3D space placement. Really depends on what your project looks like.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: SD composition to HD export
by on Oct 2, 2009 at 3:24:29 pm

Fist, duplicate that SD comp! Right Now!

Now, parent almost in that duplicated comp to a null object. The exceptions are layers parented to other layers. The parent layers get parented to the Null, not the children.

Now change the comp to the new HD resolution, and reposition and scale the null to fit everything to the new size.

If you have any kind of position change expressions in the comp, they will probably have to be modified. If you have any SD footage in the comp, it will go soft on you.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved