ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Transformations on a shape

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alejandro Benavente
Transformations on a shape
on Oct 1, 2009 at 5:02:05 pm

Hi!
I think I have stumbled upon one of AE's usual suspects in this forum.

Here's the thing: I have a path which I wish to paste as a motion path for another layer (all 3D). Now, the path has some transformations applied, most important, some 3D rotation.
You guessed right: those transformations are applied to the shape layer, not to the path itself; so when I copy the path shape over to the position property of the moving layer, the transformations are not carried over.
Problem is, I cannot replicate those tansformations on the motion path, because, as you well know, it cannot be scaled or rotated in 3D space.

Well, only the question remains: is there any way of, say, apply the transformations directly to the path shape so that they are copied over?

Sorry if this has been answered before... I've found similar posts, but the workarounds suggested on those would not solve this one.

Thanks a lot for your help!
Alex.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Fabiano
Re: Transformations on a shape
on Oct 1, 2009 at 5:05:03 pm

is the original motion path working? You might be able to tie a null to it and then parent the new thing to the null

either that or an expression

Hope that helps.

-Jeremy

-------------------------------------------------
If you didn't supply enough information I will start making assumptions. I'm usually wrong when I assume.

Return to posts index

Alejandro Benavente
on Oct 1, 2009 at 5:31:06 pm

Thanks, Jeremy.

Well, the original path works in the sense that it can be pasted as a motion path.
I think I could get around the 3d rotation pickwipping the position properties to different axes (i.e. x to y, z to x, and so on). Then apply the scale as a factor to this expressions... I foresee a lot of experimentation in the hours ahead!
I'll report the results.
A.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Fabiano
on Oct 1, 2009 at 7:28:49 pm

Cool :)

One thing I kind of remember having to do somewhere is when linking to another object, it couldnt do 3d axis, but it had a 3rd parameter that acted like a Z, so i made a null, linked the POS's and linked that parameter to the null's Z and automated that..

When I get home tonight I'll see if I kept that project file, I can't remember why I did it, had something to do with moving a lensflare or particle emitter.. or something that might prove a tiny bit helpful..

-Jeremy

If you didn't supply enough information I will start making assumptions. I'm usually wrong when I assume.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]