ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Jerky motion problem - yes it could quite possibly be judder!

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Will BarryJerky motion problem - yes it could quite possibly be judder!
by on Oct 1, 2009 at 4:08:23 pm

Hi guys,
I have a little problem with horizontal scrolling text, that had me scratching my head for quite a while until I found a few posts on CC about 'judder' - particularly a good explanation of this on this recent post.

Now, my problem certainly looks like a case of judder, but I've tried a few tests before and after I read that, that have confused me. Firstly, this animation is intended for web, so I have not been rendering with fields. However, as a test I tried making a DVD with and without rendered fields (from AE) and watched it on the telly. The one w/o fields looked exactly as it does on the link, but the one with fields looked absolutely fine. Of course unfortunately I can't render with fields, 'cause it's a web movie.
For reference here's the offending animation.

I've tried past suggestions such as re-timing and adding mo blur to no avail.

So, I guess my question is: if it is judder, which I understand to be a problem with the way the eye actually observes motion, would this be unaffected by rendering with fields?
Or have I completely failed to grasp the concept? :)

Any advice/opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Return to posts index

Paul ConigliaroRe: Jerky motion problem - yes it could quite possibly be judder!
by on Oct 1, 2009 at 5:14:52 pm

This does indeed look like judder.

Two things to try: either raise the framerate (which is what rendering with fields is effectively doing) or open up the shutter under Project Settings: Advanced for more motion blur.

(Also, your text has no motion blur, which may be adding to the perceived judder.)

Adobe CS3, Apple FCS2
[Disclaimer: Sometimes I am an idiot and misinterpret people's posts. I'm sorry.]

Return to posts index

Steve RobertsRe: Jerky motion problem - yes it could quite possibly be judder!
by on Oct 1, 2009 at 7:26:10 pm

Yes, fields would help, because you're essentially "upping the ante" and increasing the frame rate to a speed where the oh-so-clever eye can't keep up, and starts to perceive motion as a result. How-e-ver ... you're on the web, so you can't do that.

Motion blur hasn't worked for me, because I get stuttery blurry images.

But to be honest, if I take off my motion graphics eyes and put on my "producer' eyes, it looks fine. It's a limitation of the medium and beyond the solutions that you've read here, there's nothing you can do about it. Show it to some people without telling them what they're looking for.

Anyway, I'd distract the eye by adding some animation within the flying spreadsheet (gotta love corporate work!), maybe just animate the scaling up (zooming in) of the "instant progress reports" (IPR) text as it flies by, or maybe cycle between different values in the spreadsheet, but maybe grayed out a bit to not compete with the IPR text.

And I'd lose that Y-axis dip as the spreadsheet flies by -- the motion path seems to sag. Looks like an error, sorry.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved