ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

AVI on a MAC

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jessica RobbinsAVI on a MAC
by on Oct 1, 2009 at 3:20:27 pm

I need to get my file from AE on a MAC to a true AVI. Does quicktime pro really convert the .mov to a true AVI that will play without quicktime on a PC via the export AVI function?

I use premier instead of final cut as well, is compressor a good option (and can it be purchased seperately?) for encoding MOVs to AVIs (not .wmv)

Thanks for the help-
Jessica

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcow
Dave LaRondeRe: AVI on a MAC
by on Oct 1, 2009 at 3:26:49 pm

If I'm wrong, someone will jump on this for sure, so stay tuned.

Yes, AE will create AVI files on a Mac, but you will definitely want to make them Lossless (if that option is available) or Uncompressed.... and let the next person in line convert them to AVIs in their codec of choice.

The reason: a shortcoming in Quicktime. QT doesn't have the full panoply of codecs for AVI files. It has really high quality... and garbage. No in-between.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Andrew SaligaRe: AVI on a MAC
by on Oct 1, 2009 at 3:38:09 pm

Useful info again David. I didn't realize that there were issues with AVIs and QT Pro. I just made some AVIs a few days ago for a client, but luckily I ran them through Compressor.

-Andrew Saliga

Steelehouse Productions
http://www.steelehouse.com (undergoing a much-needed redesign)
http://www.vimeo.com/steelehouse

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: AVI on a MAC
by on Oct 1, 2009 at 3:54:38 pm

[Andrew Saliga] "I didn't realize that there were issues with AVIs and QT Pro."

There may be flaws in QT, but I don't think you can count AVI creation among them. The lack of useful codecs in QT is more likely a case of Apple and Microsoft not playing nice together.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: AVI on a MAC
by on Oct 2, 2009 at 1:39:19 am

To build on Dave's point, both Quicktime and AVI are "container" or "wrapper" formats. Container formats describe how to store and read tracks in a file, but not how to actually interpret the streams. That's where codecs (codec stands for compressor/decompressor) come in -- they actually describe the video, audio, timecode, subtitles, etc.

You could store just about any kind of video in an AVI -- Cinepak, DV, uncompressed, h.264, etc., but the codec must be installed on the system for playback. Here's a list of codecs pre-installed on PCs:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/899113

Walter Soyka, Principal
Keen Live, Inc.
Presentation, Motion Graphics & Widescreen Design
RenderBreak: A Blog on Innovation in Production

Return to posts index

Jessica RobbinsRe: AVI on a MAC
by on Oct 2, 2009 at 2:55:26 pm

Thanks everyone for your help! It seems their display program was able to read the direct export as avi from AE.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]