ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Best output for playback from laptop

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bas Mooij
Best output for playback from laptop
on Oct 1, 2009 at 10:23:07 am

Hi All,

Im working on this project which includes some animation and film footage from different sources. After the weekend I need to render it out and it has to played from a laptop on a beamer (SD not HD).

My comp settings are PAL widescreen square pixels, fps: 24 progressive. (sqr pxl: since in principle it will be played from laptop & WS PAL: since it will played through a SD beamer).

So my question is:
What is the best and most common used output codec in these cases? Rendering out in an uncompressed avi/mov resulted in an immense outputfile, which was so big, parts couldn't be played back real time.

So what is a safe and common solution, resulting in best quality / (acceptable) filesize ratio?

Thank you very much in advance!
Greets

Return to posts index

craig hellen
Re: Best output for playback from laptop
on Oct 1, 2009 at 10:28:38 am

export a nice big MOV out of AE then down convert it to a .mp4 with a free program such as mpegsteamclip

excellent results everytime :-)

Co-Director Podchains Ltd
Video Producer / Motion graphics designer http://bexmedia.net

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 1, 2009 at 2:40:08 pm

Since you're projecting the video on an SD device, why fool around with files that may or may not play back smoothly on a laptop? Put it on DVD, and play the DVD. People make SD widescreen DVDs all the time.

I see you're working in a PAL comp.... AND at 24. I can't figure out how one less frame per second is worth all the bother. I challenge you to see any difference whatsoever between 24P and 25P. Unless there are overwhelming reasons for this frame rate, I don't think it's worth the extra trouble created by 24P in 25fps PAL-land... and I don't consider the phrase, "well, 24P is way cooler" to be an overwhelming reason.

If foresee frame rate discrepancies: if all this footage "from a variety of sources" is not ALL 23.976 frames/sec (aka the NTSC film frame rate) or at 24fps in your 24P AE comp, you are going to have some very big problems.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Bas Mooij
on Oct 1, 2009 at 4:53:07 pm

Thank you both for your responses.
Dave, thanks for the advice on frame rates. So best to change comp settings to 25p? Also, will this overcome potential problems due to discrepancy in frame rates of the different footage? (In other words, when i have a 25p comp, can I import different footage differing in frame rate without a problem?)

I am still in a process in fully understanding the differences between these kind of settings, as you can see :)

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 1, 2009 at 7:35:57 pm

By virtue of the fact that you're in a PAL country, and you're using a variety of footage in what you called a PAL comp, I strongly recommend a 25fps comp.

The frame rate of all your footage must match the frame rate of your comp.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]