ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Light created Shadows on a Transparent Plane?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt AbronLight created Shadows on a Transparent Plane?
by on Sep 30, 2009 at 8:39:50 pm

Hi All,

I am in need of rendering a project without a background...Alpha.

I want to somehow render out the dynamic shadows that are created by light sources to render to the background plane...but the background plane to be transparent minus the shadowing...

Is it possible?

If not anyone have a way to create realistic shadowing from the layer effect? Like an expression..

BTW: Anyone know the bit of HTML Code to get that border effect to turn off around my logo? I know it is border="0" but my syntax seems wrong...anyhoo, one thing at a time...

Return to posts index

Jeremy FabianoRe: Light created Shadows on a Transparent Plane?
by on Sep 30, 2009 at 9:12:24 pm

the correct syntax (whether it'll work or not) is

open chevron a href='URL' close chevron openchcevron img src='URL TO IMAGE' border=0 close chevron open chevron /a close chevron

sry i couldnt get the CODE thing to work...

As for the other part, sounds like a job for a 3d app, dunno if AE can do it or not, I'm not qualified to answer..

If you didn't supply enough information I will start making assumptions. I'm usually wrong when I assume.

Return to posts index

Luke di RagoRe: Light created Shadows on a Transparent Plane?
by on Nov 5, 2009 at 6:11:08 pm

I was looking for the same effect, and after thinking a while how to achieve that in AE, I've found a simple workaround:

If you make a white solid in 3D, and the shadows are projected with a light, you can use that as an occlusion pass; a white plane with dark shadows only, and then applied as Multiply, will do a similar effect to what a 3D OCC pass would do.

You have to set the white solid to accept shadows, but no lights (in Material Options, shortcut AA on the layer) , and then play around with the opacity, and control the sharpness/softness of the shadow with the light controls.

Hope this helps you,

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved