ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Extrusion?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Hollis
Extrusion?
on Sep 30, 2009 at 6:01:34 pm

I am using Adobe After Effects 6.5 and would like to know if I can create an extruded edge on an object (an outline of a state) to make it look more 3D. Or was that something added later...

I am also interested in knowing if there is a way to make something look like it's a flag waving.

What if there were no hypothetical questions?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Extrusion?
on Sep 30, 2009 at 6:20:54 pm

[Mark Hollis] "I am using Adobe After Effects 6.5 and would like to know if I can create an extruded edge on an object..."

For extrusions, it sounds like Zaxwerks 3D Invigorator might be the third-party plugin of choice for you. It came out bundled with AE5, so there has to be an AE 6.5 version floating around. It does its 3D extrusion voodoo using Illustrator files.

For flags, there should be a couple of things in the AE Tutorials section here on the COW that would do the trick using your version of AE. I don't think the results would look entirely photorealistic, if that's a concern.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Oct 1, 2009 at 2:47:32 am

You can also do some basic extrusions using the Shatter effect. Another way is by duplicating a layer several times and offsetting the copies in z space.

An After Effects Community Help search for 'extrusion' brings up several useful resources, including some tutorials here on the COW.

An After Effects Community Help search for 'waving flag' is similarly useful.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

daytona swarbrick
on Oct 1, 2009 at 4:32:52 am

here's a tut on the flag thing!
http://www.ayatoweb.com/ae_tips/ae02.html#
hope that works for you!

daytona

Return to posts index

craig hellen
on Oct 1, 2009 at 8:40:05 am

for extrusions it might be worth getting the trial of cs3 or (i think it will work) cs4 and use this fab custom preset by maltaannon: http://maltaannon.com/articles/after-effects/studying-ce-shapeextruder/

used it loads and it works really well!

Co-Director Podchains Ltd
Video Producer / Motion graphics designer http://bexmedia.net

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]