ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

text in a box?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dan LaClochetext in a box?
by on Sep 30, 2009 at 5:20:56 pm

Is there a way to animate a text layer so that the individual characters stay within a 600px x 600px 'box'? Interacting with the sides, like bouncing off, etc?

I've got the basic stuff happening by animating the position of the text with a selector of wiggly, and controlling it with a range selector when I want the text to calm down and get in line.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Jeremy FabianoRe: text in a box?
by on Sep 30, 2009 at 9:08:15 pm

You could make a new comp w/ those dimensions, put the text in it, then drop that comp into your main comp.. that'd constrain it to an area then just move that comp position around.

That's one quick and dirty way of doing it.. Hope it helps.

-Jeremy

-------------------------------------------------
If you didn't supply enough information I will start making assumptions. I'm usually wrong when I assume.

Return to posts index

Dan LaClocheRe: text in a box?
by on Sep 30, 2009 at 9:28:53 pm

Yeah, but the letters don't interact with the edges of the preComp they just fly off the edge and come back.

Thanks for the idea. Maybe there's and expression that will keep the letters inside the preComp?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Jeremy FabianoRe: text in a box?
by on Sep 30, 2009 at 9:58:57 pm

Ah I think I misunderstood.. you want it as a constraint so that it BOUNCES off the comp walls ?

If that's what you're after it's theoretically possible, but it's not in my knowledge banks :(

You'd have to do some kind of if-then setup and compare the position x,y to the comp edges and if they touch reflect the letters off at an opposite angle (unless 90* perpendicular).

My coding experience is in PHP, mySql and HTML so I'm not of much help there.. I'm sure someone on here could whip something up however.

Good luck, hope what little info I've provided is some help either to you, or to someone who can code..

-Jeremy

If you didn't supply enough information I will start making assumptions. I'm usually wrong when I assume.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]