ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Fill & Matte Question

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark WalczakFill & Matte Question
by on Sep 30, 2009 at 2:37:09 pm

Ok, so, I know it doesn't get any more basic than this, but what can I say, I'm sorta new to this. Can someone please clarify what it means when a compositor asks for a fill and matte? I know what a matte is, and I typically pass along .mov files with straight alphas to editors, but am a little puzzled as to why it isn't this easy when moving files to a Flame artist. Furthermore, what is the best way to create fill and matte files from AE?

Thank you for your patience - I know this is a simple one!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Fill & Matte Question
by on Sep 30, 2009 at 2:58:00 pm

The fill is the stuff that goes inside the matte. AE can make both the matte and fill files in the same render: use the Add Output Module command in the Render Queue.

To make the matte file, explore the various settings in the Output Module, and you'll find one called Fill. I'm not in front of my AE machine at the moment, so I can't tell you precisely where it's located.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Fill & Matte Question
by on Sep 30, 2009 at 3:32:29 pm

As Dave indicates, you can set your output modules up to create two movies: one with just the matte (Alpha) and one with just the fill (RGB).

The trick that a lot of people miss is the one that Dave led with: Have two output modules for the same render item. That way, you render once, and After Effects uses that same set of rendered frames as the basis for creating both output types. This is one of those things that saves huge amounts of time when you're encoding to various formats, et cetera.

Here's a link to the output module settings section of After Effects Help.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

Mark WalczakRe: Fill & Matte Question
by on Sep 30, 2009 at 3:55:20 pm

Wow, this is great - thanks for the quick response everyone!

I tried doing the method mentioned above, and have one remaining question. When rendering out the Fill, do I render RGB only, or do I render with an alpha? I tried doing a test while rendering RGB for fill, with a separate Matte pass. The Matte turned out great, but when I brought both renders back into AE, I'm getting a black halo around my image when using my Matte as the source for a luma matte.

Thoughts?

Thanks for everything!!!

What makes you explode?
http://www.explosivegraffix.com

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Fill & Matte Question
by on Sep 30, 2009 at 4:02:07 pm

You only need the RGB, not RGB+Alpha. You should be good to go!

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Fill & Matte Question
by on Sep 30, 2009 at 4:08:11 pm

As Dave said, for your current use you only need RGB for your "fill" output. But, in the future, you should understand what caused that halo.

Read about premultiplied and straight channels. You can choose whether to output straight or premultiplied channels; the same choice is also sometimes relevant on import. It's all explained in the page that I linked to.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

by on Sep 30, 2009 at 4:24:39 pm

Todd and Dave:

You guys are the best!

I tried rendering the Fill with RGB only, but was still getting the halo. After a few tests with a few variations, the only combination (of Matte and Fill) that worked for me was rendering the Matte, and rendering the Fill with RGB+Alpha Premultiplied. This gave me absolutely no halo (which I will certainly look into). Does this even make sense?

Thank you again for all of your help and patience!

What makes you explode?

Return to posts index

by on Sep 30, 2009 at 5:10:31 pm

Alright, go ahead and strike my last post from the record - I now see that anything rendered Straight/Premult as opposed to RGB ONLY will give the proper alpha.

Thanks again, guys - you really clarified things for me!

What makes you explode?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]