ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Recreating Look?: Animated Reflections on 3d Icons

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Beau BakerRecreating Look?: Animated Reflections on 3d Icons
by on Sep 29, 2009 at 8:18:02 pm

Been searching/testing ways to recreate animated reflections with AE. Basically I want the light reflected on objects to move... this look.

Anyone have an idea how to achieve this? I've tried shape layers, illustrator, photoshop, & invigorator (layer maps) and I can't make it work. At least look natural.

I'd like to find a solution I can work into logo animations or at least some simple shapes in them.

Beau Baker
Editor, Graphic Designer, Animator,
Professional MMA Fighter

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Recreating Look?: Animated Reflections on 3d Icons
by on Sep 29, 2009 at 8:49:42 pm

If you want the reflections to MOVE, that's typically done in a 3D application, moving an environment map. When you're talking about motion in this instance, it gets really difficult to fake it in AE... almost to the point where it isn't worth doing.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Steve RobertsRe: Recreating Look?: Animated Reflections on 3d Icons
by on Sep 29, 2009 at 9:20:00 pm

Don't think of them as reflections.

Just use a circular mask on the video layer you want to appear, apply one of the distort filters to make it bulge, and use a transfer mode (soft light?) to make it appear over the button layer.

Return to posts index

Jon GeddesRe: Recreating Look?: Animated Reflections on 3d Icons
by on Sep 29, 2009 at 10:14:42 pm

Andrew Kramer did a tutorial on creating a Ring (similar to the one used by TNT) in which he creates a ring shape that pretty much has the web 2.0 look you are going for. You may not use the particle effects that he goes over, but it might be worth watching just so you can see how you can create the shape using only masks and shape layers.

http://www.videocopilot.net/tutorials/the_ring/

Jon Geddes
http://www.precomposed.com

Return to posts index

Beau BakerRe: Recreating Look?: Animated Reflections on 3d Icons
by on Sep 30, 2009 at 3:47:22 am

Perfect! Thanks Jon. A little more complex than what I was going for, but hey... learned some cool particle effects to boot. This definitely gets me rolling in the right direction.

Beau Baker
Editor, Graphic Designer, Animator,
Professional MMA Fighter

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]