ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

After Effects CS4 crashes or freezes on export

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Charles FarleyAfter Effects CS4 crashes or freezes on export
by on Sep 29, 2009 at 5:28:39 pm

I am running After Effects CS4. It has been an up and down road with me since I got CS4. Sometimes it seems to work perfect, exporting and rendering very high resolution clips. Well today I created a leader for my corporate videos, its HD but by no means the highest resolution piece I have tried to export. Whenever I do export one of 2 things happens, occasionally it crashes with AE looking for more memory, but usually it just freezes on a particular frame. For example the export is something like 700 frames, so it will freeze on 85 and just stay there like its still exporting with no progress. Any ideas? I am running a dual core processor 2.5ghz along with 4gb of ram on a Windows XP system. I should have enough ram and memory to get this clip out....

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: After Effects CS4 crashes or freezes on export
by on Sep 29, 2009 at 6:34:19 pm

There are three common things that can affect performance in that manner:
1) you're using Open GL -- turn it off for rendering.
2) you're using multiprocessing incorrectly -- again, just turn it off
3) you're using HDV footage -- you'll need to convert it

Why convert HDV footage? Read on....

Dave's Stock Answer #1:

If the footage you imported into AE is any kind of the following -- footage in an HDV acquisition codec, MPEG1, MPEG2, mp4, m2t, H.261 or H.264 -- you need to convert it to a different codec.

These kinds of footage use temporal, or interframe compression. They have keyframes at regular intervals, containing complete frame information. However, the frames in between do NOT have complete information. Interframe codecs toss out duplicated information.

In order to maintain peak rendering efficiency, AE needs complete information for each and every frame. But because these kinds of footage contain only partial information, AE freaks out, resulting in a wide variety of problems.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Charles FarleyRe: After Effects CS4 crashes or freezes on export
by on Sep 29, 2009 at 7:10:08 pm

Hello,
I am not using open gl (confirmed in settings) the media I am working with is in QT format (.mov). Originally I wanted to export in QT again (AVID DNxHD CODEC) But I have since tried to export an AVI and still get the same freezing. Any other ideas? Is there anyway to render smaller parts to take the load of the ram?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: After Effects CS4 crashes or freezes on export
by on Sep 29, 2009 at 7:35:38 pm

[Charles Farley] "the media I am working with is in QT format (.mov)"

That's nice.... now what's the CODEC? Highlight the footage in the project window and find out. If it's one the ones mentioned above, change it.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Hicham ChahidiRe: After Effects CS4 crashes or freezes on export
by on Nov 14, 2016 at 1:13:43 pm

Hi Dave,

Thank you!! I had the same trouble with Ae rendering since a long time, it crash on some projects in the same frame, and I couldn't find what was wrong. Your solution worked for me. After disabling Oper GL and multiprocessing everything is fine now..

Thank you!!!!!!

Royalty free music
http://www.musicscreen.org

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: After Effects CS4 crashes or freezes on export
by on Sep 29, 2009 at 7:32:06 pm

Have you updated to After Effects CS4 (9.0.2), which fixed several problems, including some crashes?

> Is there anyway to render smaller parts to take the load of the ram?

You can render and export a sequence of still images and then recombine these still images into a movie. It's common to use a post-render action to take a still-image sequence and convert it to a movie in a container such as an .mov file. Or you can use QuickTime Pro to do that.

You can also carve up a composition into several smaller time spans and render and export each of those separately if one section is giving you problems. Just yesterday, I pointed to a script for doing this.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

by on Sep 29, 2009 at 8:55:54 pm

I didnt update yet, it does appear that a certain section (somewhat graphically intensive) is what is giving me problems. Although it's not crashing and asking for more memory, just freezing and hanging up on that spot. The same thing happened while trying to do an image sequence. I just don't get it.

BTW the video is none of those codecs either.

Return to posts index

by on Sep 29, 2009 at 9:00:19 pm

If you're having problems With After Effects CS4 and haven't updated to 9.0.2, then I can't really help you. That update fixed a lot of problems, and I don't want to waste my time chasing issues that have already been fixed in the available update.

If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

by on Sep 29, 2009 at 9:30:38 pm

I will update now and let you know what happens. Thanks

Return to posts index

by on Sep 29, 2009 at 10:16:25 pm

I updated to the newest version of CS4 and the problem still exists, it freezes on a frame and will not progress further (no error message) except when I try to export an Image Sequence, then I am getting an out of memory error.

Return to posts index

by on Sep 30, 2009 at 11:55:35 pm

You've already got Render Multiple Frames Simultaneously turned off, right?

And RAM To Leave For Other Applications turned all the way down?

Return to posts index

Karl-Jason MawdsleyRe: After Effects CS4 crashes or freezes on export
by on Oct 14, 2009 at 1:33:01 pm

I have this same problem - I've tried all the solutions but still get the same - AE freezes wehnever I try to render that frame. There are not particular effects or keyframes on it that aren't elsewhere in the comp - I am stumped

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]