ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Finishing in After Effects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam Beasley
Finishing in After Effects
on Sep 29, 2009 at 3:29:36 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm interested to know the effect of exporting to .mov from FCP then using after effects for tweaking before exporting for either DVD or web.

Can I expect to lose a significant amount of quality and if so, how can this be avoided/limited?

I assume using and EDL from FCP would work, are there better/other ways?

Cheers,

Adam

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Finishing in After Effects
on Sep 29, 2009 at 4:15:36 pm

Get yourself the Freebie FCP2AE script from Popcorn Island. It will convert an XML file (OMF File? I forget) from FCP into an AE comp.

Or you can spend seven hundred bucks for the far more fully-featured Automatic Duck.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Adam Beasley
on Sep 29, 2009 at 6:01:04 pm

Wicked thanks a lot.

How would you suggest finishing the movie for web or dvd output in terms of sound, once I'm done in AE, as I've heard it isn't too great with audio..

Ta

Adam

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 29, 2009 at 6:22:45 pm

Don't do anything with the sound, just the video. I do it all the time, no problems whatsoever.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Wes Plate
on Sep 29, 2009 at 7:56:14 pm

You could spend $700, but since SRP is only $495 I'm nor sure why you would.

-- Wes Plate

Automatic Duck

Return to posts index

cow
Todd Kopriva
on Sep 29, 2009 at 4:25:45 pm

As long as your movie exported from Final Cut Pro uses lossless encoding, you don't have to worry about a loss in quality. People often use the Animation codec in a QuickTime container for this purpose, though the PNG codec in a QuickTime container is often even better for compression.

You can also use any of several techniques to get Final Cut Pro projects into After Effects. See this page. (I just realized that that page needs to be reorganized a bit; the FCP information is split between the top and the bottom of the page. Oops.)

You can get gamma shifts between Final Cut Pro and After Effects because of a... um... quirk with QuickTime. If you experience this problem, then follow the guidelines at the bottom of this page and this page.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

Adam Beasley
on Sep 29, 2009 at 6:01:36 pm

Wicked thanks a lot.

How would you suggest finishing the movie for web or dvd output in terms of sound, once I'm done in AE, as I've heard it isn't too great with audio..

Ta

Adam

Return to posts index

Mark Hollis
on Sep 29, 2009 at 7:51:30 pm

I wouldn't.

You get infinitely more control over sound in FCP or Adobe Premiere Pro. I just did a Premiere-->After Effects-->Premiere gizmo that worked outstandingly. I had 114 layers in AE when all was said and done and simply sucked the result into Premiere Pro to do final audio tweaks.

My final output was a videotape, so I didn't need to set it up for a DVD, but it worked great.

Render time was about 3 hours in AE. TRT was 4 minutes, 27 seconds.

Of course I'm using some old stuff, too. Premiere Pro 1.5, AE 6.5 and an old Dell XPS 600 with 4G of system RAM.

We plan an upgrade to Macs and FCP but I intend to try to keep Premiere Pro if I need to "wash" something through AE. Workflow is better with the Adobe applications until Apple comes up with something to really challenge AE.

What if there were no hypothetical questions?

Return to posts index

scott novasic
on Sep 30, 2009 at 7:21:12 am

Ive been 'finishing' in after effects since version 1\ Cosa After Effects. Understanding compression, and lack of it, is the key. Lots and lots of storage as well. (I tend to do work that is in general always under 10 minutes in length) I like to have every effect option available to me at all times. Audio is something I take IN from an audio expert. I dont edit it in AE. My 2 cents

SuperNova
Animation & Visual Effects
Scott Novasic
Los Angeles Ca
web:http://web.mac.com/finaleffects

Return to posts index

Adam Beasley
on Sep 30, 2009 at 8:56:49 am

I would rather do my sound in FCP/Soundtrack..

It's a case then of exporting back to FCP with a lossless codec but that presents the reverse of the original problem. The aepx file won't open in FCP and if it did, it wouldn't bring all of the effects from AE with it.

How do you maintain the quality going back the other way??

Thanks by the way peeps, this is all really helpful!

A

Return to posts index

Adam Beasley
on Sep 30, 2009 at 5:27:53 pm

Todd,

cheers dude, exporting from FCP with the animation codec in a QT container seems to be the best way to do it. I can use XML data but the results are sketchy and differ each time, missing elements and effects and sound too, plus they seem not to want to re-size properly in AE!

This way, providing it is lossless, is much easier and although it does make new media and take a little longer it certainly does the trick every time.

Thanks.

Adam

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]