ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Attaching a line to a nulls?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Diana CiminoAttaching a line to a nulls?
by on Sep 29, 2009 at 2:01:19 pm

I have a comp created with Maya camera information, so I have a few null objects moving in 3D space. What I'm trying to do is have a line that attaches one end to one of the nulls position, and the other end to another nulls position. Basically I'm replacing one null with a text label, and I want a line that follows what the text is calling out (the other null). I feel like I'm overlooking something pretty basic...

BTW...Thank you to all the posters here in the forum, I don't know how many times I've had something to figure out, and I've found the answer here.

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Attaching a line to a nulls?
by on Sep 29, 2009 at 4:59:42 pm

the beam effect will draw a line between 2 points, you can use expressions to connect each end point of the beam effect to a 3d null to effectively create a line between them.

here's a link to dan ebbert's site that explains how it work (his example uses the corner pin effect, but it's basically the same):

all you need to do is create a new solid and add an expression for an end point of the beam (alt(pc)/option(mac)-click the stopwatch for a beam endpoint property) then paste this into the expression field:

target = thisComp.layer("Null 1");

change the name of 'target' to one of your nulls. then do the same procedure for the other endpoint (attaching it to the other null).

that should create a line between them (you may need to set the beam effect to draw on transparent -- i'm rendering right now so i can't double check that)

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer

Return to posts index

Diana CiminoRe: Attaching a line to a nulls?
by on Sep 29, 2009 at 5:18:40 pm

Thank you Kevin, this is exactly what I was looking for!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved