ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

after effects mask stroke

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ben Wellerafter effects mask stroke
by on Sep 28, 2009 at 2:11:47 pm

hi,

im starting a new animation, and i want to use the stroke path effect in AE to draw the outlines, but i want to know if there is any way to change the texture of the stroke it makes? i would like it to look like a pencil drawn line. i have thought about actually drawing it with a pencil, but the time this would take with scanning and re-drawing everything, not to mention the printing costs would be a bit out of my budget.

is there any way i can download a texture or brush, or anything you can think of really that will give me the desired effect?

any ideas and help would be great, as i dont have the foggiest of where to begin doing this,

thanks,
Ben.

Return to posts index

david bogieRe: after effects mask stroke
by on Sep 28, 2009 at 6:44:49 pm

Sorry not to have an instant answer for you. Someone will probably show up in a few hours.

I'd approach this by precompsing or even pre-rendering the strokes and applying filters that break it up to look like a pencil. However, as a pencil sketch artist, I've got to tell you that your image of "pencil" is quite different from mine. Yours probably includes lots of grunge-ish effects like I'd get by using charcoal on toothy paper.

bogiesan

Return to posts index

Ben WellerRe: after effects mask stroke
by on Sep 28, 2009 at 7:14:33 pm

Hmm that's not really what I'm after, the idea of precomposing the stroke and then applying a texture to that is good, but I definatly don't want any grungy effects. What I'm looking for is a line that looks like it was drawn by a pencil, preferably with all the little imperfections that would come with a pencil line.

Return to posts index

david bogieRe: after effects mask stroke
by on Sep 28, 2009 at 9:24:20 pm

I can't read your mind, I don't know what you're after. But, as an artist, when I use a pencil, or ay other crayon-type drawing tool, I want a line, not something with imperfections. If I want imperfections, I use the appropriate tools. That would be decided by the effect I'm looking for. Imperfections are a result of a hard crayon on a toothy or coarse medium. I cannot make a buttery smooth media/crayon combination carry imperfections without working at it. As an animator, you do the same thing. Obvious the term "grunge"means something completely different to you than it does to me. you are going to erode, corrode, edge amplify or otherwise mess up perfectly good lines. Whatever you do to it, it will be grungier than when you started.

bogiesan

Return to posts index

by on Sep 28, 2009 at 7:15:42 pm

Hmm that's not really what I'm after, the idea of precomposing the stroke and then applying a texture to that is good, but I definatly don't want any grungy effects. What I'm looking for is a line that looks like it was drawn by a pencil, preferably with all the little imperfections that would come with a pencil line.

Return to posts index

by on Sep 28, 2009 at 7:15:58 pm

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]