ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

after effects 3d camera lining up layers and camera tracking of moving objects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robin Burrowsafter effects 3d camera lining up layers and camera tracking of moving objects
by on Sep 27, 2009 at 11:21:36 am

Does anyone know how I line up layers and strokes when I put on a 3d camera?

I have a map I have created a layer on top of which has a stroke generated from a path and a cinema 4d model which moves along the stroke. I want a camera to follow the model.
Any ideas on this are welcome but what I have done is generate a null opject and link it to the model as th efocal point for a camera. I think it may well just pan the camer to always look at it but I can add keyframes maybe.
anyway aside from this the question is when I rotate the map my object and line drawn as it moves stay in the same plane and get hidden under the map. Does nayone know if and how I can fix the line and path for the object/model to the surface of the map?
Help with th erest woudl be useful but I reckon I can work it out its this aligning of strokes paths layers and drawings etc thats causing me problems.
Regards
Robin

Return to posts index

cow
Erik WaluskaRe: after effects 3d camera lining up layers and camera tracking of moving objects
by on Sep 27, 2009 at 4:17:01 pm

"when I rotate the map my object and line drawn as it moves stay in the same plane and get hidden under the map. Does nayone know if and how I can fix the line and path for the object/model to the surface of the map? "

You can create a null object, make it 3D, and parent everything to the null. Then use the null to control the rotation, position, etc of everything together.

OR

Parent everything to the map layer.

Also, if you have several 3D layers that are stacked together you should separate them by at least a few pixels in the Z position or they can have problems like intersecting each other or flickering from one image to another during the render. So if the farthest layer from the camera, which I'll assume is the map, is at Z position "0", then set the next closest layer's (your stroke line) Z position to something like "-5" so that there is some Z space between them. The next closest layer would then be set to "-10", and so on.

There are quite a few threads and tutorials in the Cow, Video Copilot, etc. about controlling a camera. One of the easiest and most versatile ways is to parent the camera to a 3D null and use the null to control the camera. You can then have the camera follow an object easily by parenting its control null to the object you want to follow, or by connecting their position values through an expression. This way the camera will follow the object automatically and you can then animate the camera's position and/or point of interest relative to the null very easily.

Hope that helps.

-E

Return to posts index

Robin BurrowsRe: after effects 3d camera lining up layers and camera tracking of moving objects
by on Sep 27, 2009 at 4:36:12 pm

cheers thanks, meant to put 5 cows but mouse stuck and clicked one but Its sorted th eproblems thanks. I have also got on top of the parenting and camera stuff quite easily.

Thankyou fo rth ereply.
Robin

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]