ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Quadro FX 1800 for AE???

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
sean mullinsQuadro FX 1800 for AE???
by on Sep 27, 2009 at 12:53:05 am

Hi all
This is my first post here! I need some advise on what graphics card I should buy for using AE. I have looked at the quadro fx 1800 and other gaming gfx cards but cannot decide which is the best option I know the quadro series are very good for AE, but expensive. So if anyone has any advise or experience to help me dicide wheather I should spend more on the fx1800 or just get a decent gaming card ( and if so which one) it would be much appreciated.

p.s ATI or Nvidea?

Return to posts index

Jeremy FabianoRe: Quadro FX 1800 for AE???
by on Sep 27, 2009 at 6:21:57 am

Personally I use the older nVidia Geforce 8600 GT-S OC, would love a 2nd one in SLI mode, but we'll see where money goes.

I recently got an email from my supplier saying that I'll have access to the new Radeon HD5800 series.. pricing is still in the air, but I'm hearing rumors from my rep that the HD5870 will be just under $400 (don't quote me on that - it IS a rumor hehe :D ).

It *IS* cutting edge though, so if you get one you'll be testing it in a sense..

Here's a copy of the PDF my rep sent me:

If you're interested let me know and I can put in a call and see if I can speed things up a bit pricing/availability wise.

If you didn't supply enough information I will start making assumptions. I'm usually wrong when I assume.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Quadro FX 1800 for AE???
by on Sep 28, 2009 at 3:46:02 pm

Quadros are nice, but they won't speed up your renders. They primarily accelerate the user interface in AE.

If you are looking to improve your render times (and who isn't?), then RAM is far more important to AE than the graphics card -- you'd want at least 2GB per core, preferably 4 GB per core, and a 64-bit edition of Windows if you're on a PC.

Search on "graphics card" in this forum for a lot more on this topic -- there have been a ton of posts about this recently.

Walter Soyka, Principal
Keen Live, Inc.
Presentation, Motion Graphics & Widescreen Design
RenderBreak: A Blog on Innovation in Production

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved