ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

sound cannon effect

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
gregory Reesesound cannon effect
by on Sep 26, 2009 at 11:16:33 pm

I am trying to make an effect from a "sound cannon". Picture a bazzooka firing a spiraling sound wave blast into the air at a target. Does this inspire any ideas from anyone?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Jeremy FabianoRe: sound cannon effect
by on Sep 27, 2009 at 5:53:23 am

um.. do you mean you want to fire the shockwave or make the noise?

something like the guns from starwars episode 2 or even more specifically like on the movie "STEEL" ?

Also will need to know how you plan on using it.. as long as its going in one direction on one axis it's RELATIVELY easy to do almost anything anyone can think of. It's when you start doing complex things, like moving it in 3D space that life becomes..... interesting.

Let us know what you're up to so we can give you some info :)

-Jeremy

-------------------------------------------------
If you didn't supply enough information I will start making assumptions. I'm usually wrong when I assume.

Return to posts index

gregory ReeseRe: sound cannon effect
by on Sep 27, 2009 at 8:41:46 pm

I want to fire the shockwave.
I never saw "Steel" but I think you are close to what I am thinking of with Star Wars episode 2
I am thinking a type of 3D look hopefully

Return to posts index

by on Sep 27, 2009 at 9:34:19 pm

More specifically:

What I am thinking is a shoulder fired cannon from the ground firing at an airplane. The cannon fires a continuous frequency sound wave at the airplane until it explodes. The frequency sound wave I imagine looking like a spiraling sonic blast.

Don't know if that helps any. I am experimenting with different things and hoping for some input that may trigger some inspiration. I have been researching online and now I am thinking I may want to learn more about "displacement maps" which are new to me.

thanks

Return to posts index

by on Sep 27, 2009 at 10:11:53 pm

Was just going to suggest that :)

Yeah displacement maps will be your best friend in this.

How fast is the plane going? Is it far enough away you don't have to animate the sonic wave over a large distance? Because that tends to make things more interesting..

if the wave will sweep slowly (or not much at all) it shouldn't be TOO hard. I'm not sure about the swirly part, but the wave itself shouldn't be too big of an issue.

Are you in a hurry for this fx? If not I can sit down later today and start playing with it and see if I can come up with anything that might be useful to ya.

-Jeremy

If you didn't supply enough information I will start making assumptions. I'm usually wrong when I assume.

Return to posts index

by on Sep 27, 2009 at 10:45:30 pm

The plane is at a distance and I imagine the wave will sweep slowly. As far as the swirly part, I am open to other possibilities. I just want it to look like a sound blast type of wave, and cool of course. I will need to start doing whatever I end up doing in about 5 days, in the mean time I am researching and playing. Any suggestions would be awesome!
Thanks
Greg

Return to posts index

by on Sep 28, 2009 at 4:32:31 am

I can show you how to come up with something like this, best I can do without a bit more research.

can speed it up, add more pulses, make the pulses thicker, wider, longer, pretty much anything you want. If you'd like the project file or instructions just let me know.

-Jeremy

Return to posts index

by on Sep 28, 2009 at 10:20:52 am

yeah, I'd love the project file or instructions.
thanks

Return to posts index

by on Sep 28, 2009 at 2:10:08 pm

Alrighty here you go :)

Disclaimer: When accepting files from anyone, make sure you scan them with a good virus scanner.

URL: http://mydigitalchaos.com/users/jfabiano/project-files/shockwave.zip

Notes:

1. the "wave" shape/size is controlled in "Shockwave Comp" - it's a simple mask on the image that's in the luma matte.

2. Apparently In that same comp there's a solid called "LUMA WAVE" - I thought I deleted that. It's irrelevant.

3. In "Shockwave Luma Matte" I added a control layer with slider controls. It's not required for the project, just makes it quicker to experiment. They affect the properties of the shockwave itself.
a. Shockwave Thickness: linked to "Luma Black -> Mask2:Shockwave Rear Mask" It's a proportional link to the mask "Shockwave Front Mask" - the expression is easy.

b. the feathers are linked to the mask feathers, match the names

c. The end keyframe of shockwave front mask controls the speed. increase it's mask expansion to make the shockwave move faster if desired.

4. Lastly, the shockwave "direction" is controlled by the mask position. Simply select both masks and move the mask to the corner you're firing it from. Will make sense when you see it. To set the shockwave begin/end points simply change its mask appropriately in "shockwave comp"

Further shockwave stuff can be done with trapcode particular or form I'm sure, even CC particle world, but I'm not that great with the particle engines yet so I can't be of much help there.

Oh yeah, the displacement map is on the picture in "Shockwave "comp" - play with its settings, you'll see the effects around the "beam".

Good luck to ya and hope this helps out.

-Jeremy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]