ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

After effects CS3 help with stroke over map

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robin Burrows
After effects CS3 help with stroke over map
on Sep 25, 2009 at 9:24:10 pm

Hi, Im wondering if someone can please help me.

I have Adobe After effects CS3 and are getting round to learning to use it.

I have a map I drew in Illustrator and coloured in in Photoshop.

I have loaded it into After Effects and generated a bezier between two places, generated a stroke, added my ship to it and added the time keys.

When I move my pointer over the frame I see the ship move and the line follow it right to the end. Good now I preview render it.

Heres where I have a huge problem. It only shows the first few frames or seconds of frames and loops so instead of my ship tracing a whole path it moves half an inch then starts again.

Can anyone tell me whats wrong? I have been trying to solve this for months. Im not sure if smaller pictures do this and my map is 296 kB so not huge. I have tried it with a 1MB one and a black and white line drawing bmp which seems to work better.

I also have a problem with another version of the same file where it loads it as three frames. The first two are fine the third moves the map slightly so when I render it its like th emap is shaking back and forward. I have not told it to do this and every time I put my strokes or lines on and render it moves the background.

If anybody has any answers I would really appreciate help as I have been going round in circles.

Best Wishes
Robin

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: After effects CS3 help with stroke over map
on Sep 25, 2009 at 10:42:01 pm

Did you ever read in AE Help about RAM Previews? It'll tell you that AE will fill up all available RAM with the preview. Since you don't get much of a preview, my guess is that you don't have a whole lot of RAM...

...so enlighten us! How much you got, hmmmmm?

You'll also want to know about the AE Work Area.... here, read up on it:
http://help.adobe.com/en_US/AfterEffects/9.0/WS3878526689cb91655866c1103906...

AE Help is darned helpful, y'know?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Robin Burrows
on Sep 26, 2009 at 6:59:57 pm

Hi, thankyou for the swift response.

I am using it on a Pentium M series 2 GHz laptop with 1.5GB of RAM and also a Dual Core 3GHz Athlon Desktop with 3GB RAM which is very unstable with after effects due to Excepton errors and open GL errors.

It does the same on both.

It also will not render an output regardles sof the memory I have very slow videos which are non animated or just incredibly slow and take 20 minutes to show a 5 second render.

I am new to this so reading everything I can but knowing where to start is awkward.

The background pics are not really that complecated. the only things I can make it work properly on are black and white line drawings smaller than the screen size.

It must be possible to pan accross a larger picture in After effects an dput a line on it! Ive seen it on you tube.
Im only rendering a pic in a few colours made in Illustrator as vector art 3000 x 3000 and shaded simply in photoshop wih some text on it.
Robin

Return to posts index

Robin Burrows
on Sep 26, 2009 at 7:47:30 pm

I think I have fixed it. I thought it may be the 8 bit or 16 bit project settings but I found with all th ecrashing, open GL and exception errors it was not saving or confusing me with the project composition settings. It was rendering the whole thing to custom size of the imported pic so over 3000 by 3500.
I have now uninstalled and reinstalled it. dissabled open GL etc and I am now still having problems with errors and preview even with 3GB RAM but it renders playable files under 300MB now!!!
Great stuff.

Ill look into the rest in slow time but its comforting. If you have any answers to the rest it would be appreciated.

Every time I close the program it throws up lots of exception errors etc.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 28, 2009 at 2:56:23 pm

Good first steps. AE doesn't do well rendering with Open GL. The guys at Adobe don't even use Open GL for rendering.

Another thing: turn off multiprocessing. You may thing 3GB is just tons of RAM, but it's not very much in AE, which can access 2GB per core on a 24-bit system. You'd be better off with it turned off, I think.

Finally, your footage may be giving you fits. Read on...

Dave's Stock Answer #1:

If the footage you imported into AE is any kind of the following -- footage in an HDV acquisition codec, MPEG1, MPEG2, mp4, m2t, H.261 or H.264 -- you need to convert it to a different codec.

These kinds of footage use temporal, or interframe compression. They have keyframes at regular intervals, containing complete frame information. However, the frames in between do NOT have complete information. Interframe codecs toss out duplicated information.

In order to maintain peak rendering efficiency, AE needs complete information for each and every frame. But because these kinds of footage contain only partial information, AE freaks out, resulting in a wide variety of problems.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]