ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Creating Night club lights

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Anushka NanayakkaraCreating Night club lights
by on Sep 25, 2009 at 5:38:33 am

Hi there,
I wondered if anyone could advise me on how to get this kind of night club light effect,

http://www.mareksdjservices.com/Prom/photo2.jpg

where the light rays move as well.

Many Thanks :)

Return to posts index

Jeremy FabianoRe: Creating Night club lights
by on Sep 25, 2009 at 5:55:53 am

Well the light rays should be able to be done w/ trapcode particular.. the real issue comes up when you try to make those light rays BEHAVE like light rays in regards to people in the scene (and blocking the lights).

I don't know a simple way of pulling that off without a lot of masking and such.. perhaps someone else can add to this..

-Jeremy

Return to posts index

Anushka NanayakkaraRe: Creating Night club lights
by on Sep 25, 2009 at 6:03:12 am

hi Jeremy,
Many thanks for the quick response. The scene will only have one person, and he will be infront standing still, with the lights moving behind him, is this difficult to acheive?

Cheers :)

Return to posts index

by on Sep 25, 2009 at 6:05:45 am

well, if the person is standing 'absolutely' still then it's quite simple.

Even if the person moves it's easy, you just have to start keyframing the mask. That has now become the easy part.

Next part will be to try to figure out exactly how to make the light beams..

I'm going to be up for a tiny bit longer, lemme fire up afterfx and see if i can make particular behave.. no promises though :S

Oh... you do have trapcode particular correct?

-Jeremy

Return to posts index

by on Sep 25, 2009 at 6:08:39 am

ah thanks!
That is very kind of you!

Return to posts index

by on Sep 25, 2009 at 6:32:30 am

Well I played with it for a bit, and I've come to two conclusions:

1. The simple way. use [Effect -> Generate -> Beam] and make the beams the way you want and hand animate their end points since it sounds like a simple shot.. it's dirty, but it'll get the job done..

2. The difficult way (and I couldn't make it work) is to use particular to generate the beams and make them spin around the emitter. I based the test off of Andrew Kramers tutorial at http://library.creativecow.net/articles/kramer_andrew/nano.php. I'm sure that with modifications, it could be used to pull off that effect, but if you just want it to work and its not something that has to look perfect, stick with #1..

If you need help with #1 let me know, if you'd rather use #2.. well can't help there :(

Good luck!

-Jeremy

Return to posts index

by on Sep 25, 2009 at 6:39:17 am

yes, no1 seems the way forward!
I dont want it to look too perfect anyway,
I havn't tried it before but it sounds pretty straight forward.
any tips I need to know?

Thanks again for your time, its very much appreciated :)

Return to posts index

by on Sep 25, 2009 at 6:57:09 am

yeah.. first time i did this i had some issues figuring out how to make the beams behave.. here's how i'd go about it...

put your footage down, do all your color correction etc etc..

DUPLICATE it

You'll leave the bottom as your background footage, and the beams will be above and below the top one.

On the top one, draw a mask around the person. That way when the beam goes "behind" the person the person is actually blocking sight of the beam.

Next you'll make a new solid, add the beam effect to it. Place this solid(with beam) on the top. This will make it go "over" your actor.

I would change the starting and ending thickness to 1, makes the beam a bit more laser-like. Something to keep in mind, the closer the "end" of the beam is to the "camera", the thicker it looks, so maybe if you need it to be close, turn the end thickness up a little bit.

Oh yeah, set the colors. The inside color just change the color slider to whichever color you like, but make sure it has a LOT of white in it (like where it is by default, just change color only). For the outside color I would do the same, leave the whiteness alone, but change the actual color. I tried green for both myself and it looks quite nice. With the thickness around 1, the softness doesn't really do anything noticeable, I'd just leave it at 50%

Where I had troubles first time around was figuring out how the length and time worked.. for your case, set the length to 100%

If you're only making a picture then dont worry about the time, otherwise you'll have to animate the time from 0% to 50% (anything after 50% and the beam "travels" away from the source).

next set the start point to where you want the beam to come from (find a ball or draw one or .. something..).

set the end point to where you want the beam to point to. You can have it hit something in the picture, or move it off of the composition to make it look like its going past the camera. This is the point you need to change to make the beam go places.

Next duplicate the beam. and set the end point to where you'd like it to go. At this point you can leave it above the top footage layer, or put it BETWEEN the footage layers to make it go "behind" the actor.

Duplicate and position until you're happy, ruin the shot, or run out of memory hehehe.

Oh one last thing, I haven't tried this, but in theory it should work.. make an adjustment layer, put it on top, then add a glow effect, and modify the settings until the beams look like they're interacting a little more with the rest of the shot. It might make it worse, but it might also help a little..

Here's a test shot I did last year using a lot of the stuff I just talked about.. http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/919457/fx/executor_preview.wmv. Everything in there was done by me except the 3d model of the Executor SSD, I got that somewhere online that I can't remember.

Hopefuly this helps you out, let us see it when you're done :)

-Jeremy

Return to posts index

by on Sep 25, 2009 at 7:08:09 am

your a star!
and yes I would love to show you the end peice when its done
probably all done in a month or so ( fingers crossed)
do you have an e-mail or do I just click the link on your page where it says extend as friend , so I can post you a link when its all done?

:)

Return to posts index

by on Sep 25, 2009 at 7:10:53 am

thank you for the compliments :)
Hopefully it works for you faster than it did for me hahahah that clip i posted took me 18 hours to make the first time... but that also included the explosions and blowing it to bits hehe

jeremyfabiano a.t. gmail d.o.t. com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]