ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Ramping with Phantom Footage

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael NicholsRamping with Phantom Footage
by on Sep 25, 2009 at 3:25:18 am

Anyone have any resources for tips? I am working with footage at 500+ frames and going for that "Saw" type of scattered ramp for a reveal.

What I have been doing is using Time Displacement, but I think it can look better.

Thanks!

Abel Cine Tech - Rental Coordinator
We now have Red and SI-2K in our Rental Fleet!
212.462.0163 • mnichols [at] abelcine [dot] com

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Ramping with Phantom Footage
by on Sep 25, 2009 at 3:15:59 pm

If you look at today's threads, you might notice that nobody's responding to you. That's because nobody is really sure what you're talking about!

To wit:
  • What does the term, ":Phantom Footage" mean?
  • You write, "I am working with footage at 500+ frames"... does this mean it's 500 frames long, or shot on a special camera at 500 frames/sec?
  • Here's another one -- "going for that "Saw" type of scattered ramp for a reveal" are you talking about ramping motion? A saw-edged wipe? Something else we have no clue about?
  • And what the heck does this effect have to do with time displacement?

If you can elaborate on what you're really after, we stand a fighting chance of knowing what's actually in your head.

Why is it that English speakers and writers have such a tough time with English, for Heaven's sake?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Michael NicholsRe: amping with Phantom Footage
by on Sep 25, 2009 at 5:40:19 pm

Wow,

kind of rude, but anyway...

The Phantom is a high speed digital cinema camera and I am shooting at a frame rate of 500fps and above and I wanted to do a speed ramping effect similar to what you would see in the contemporary horror films like "Saw."

That correct English-y enough for you?

Abel Cine Tech - Rental Coordinator
We now have Red and SI-2K in our Rental Fleet!
212.462.0163 • mnichols [at] abelcine [dot] com

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: amping with Phantom Footage
by on Sep 25, 2009 at 6:31:55 pm

[Michael Nichols] "That correct English-y enough for you? "

Yup. Very descriptive. It's remarkable what a slap up alongside the head can accomplish.

Now you simply have to wait for someone to read this who has seen the movie and the transition you're talking about.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: amping with Phantom Footage
by on Sep 25, 2009 at 8:08:01 pm

Here's a word of warning about AE: it doesn't handle ramps in frame rates very well AT ALL. But I see that you're at Abel Cine, and you might have access to something like a Teranex box. Hardware trumps software every time... and you'd just have to do some arithmetic to figure out the speed you want for that high-frame-rate footage, which is a very cool thing to have indeed.

Another factoid: the maximum frame rate in an AE composition is 99 fps.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

George CostakisRe: Ramping with Phantom Footage
by on Sep 28, 2009 at 6:05:41 pm

Hi Michael,
Not to throw myself into a fire here, but I thought the first post was clear enough on all points. However, I'm also familiar with the Phantom, so that might be why I wasn't confused. Michael, you might try and use a plugin called Twixtor, and see if you can get the results that you're looking for. Typically, it's used to simulate slomo footage that hasn't actually been shot at a higher frame rate. Sometimes it can do a really nice job. However, I've never tried it personally in the opposite direction, but it might be worth a look. They also have some video examples on their website so you can see what it can do. Since no one else has responded, I thought I would just my shot in the dark out there. Here's their link: http://www.revisionfx.com/products/twixtor/
Again, I'm not entirely sure if this is what you're looking for, but take a look.
Cheers,
George Costakis

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]