ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Great De-noise Plug-in

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris BlairGreat De-noise Plug-in
by on Sep 25, 2009 at 2:35:55 am

I don't post in this forum much but figured this was the best place to post this. I also don't tout products or software that often, but I've recently found and used a plug-in that I think is the most amazing video enhancement tool I've ever used.

It's called Neat Video and it's a noise reduction plug in for Final Cut, Premiere, After Effects/Digital Fusion, Vegas and a couple other consumer editing apps.

I was editing a TV commercial for a client who provided deer hunting video that looked like it was shot with a consumer grade DV camera on a very dark morning...terribly underexposed and the gain must've been at 18dB.

It was horrifying footage but it was all we had to work with. I tried Re:Vision Smooth Kit (another good plug-in), but it's not really a noise reduction filter. I also tried numerous other denoise filters and they all ended up just blurring the footage or making it look plastic or painterly.

So I gave this $99 plug-in a shot (in demo mode first), and I couldn't believe my eyes. It removed ALL the noise with virtually no blurring, only slight softening around the edges of the image. The parts of the image that were supposed to be in sharp focus, were STILL in sharp focus. I color corrected the shot in Digital Fusion (which it also works in), and added the Neat Video plug-in to de-noise, and I swear the footage looked like it was shot with a $35,000 camera using a black pro mist filter on a golden, sunlit morning.

I also just used the filter on a long-format video for a Catholic Youth Conference promotional video. Much of the b-roll (which we shot) had to be done with existing light, and many of the rooms were poorly lit...including dozens of nighttime church scenes where just about the only light in a cavernous monastery was candlelight. Again, coupled with simple color correction in DFX, the
transformation was jaw-dropping.

I cannot recommend this plug-in highly enough. Especially if you shoot a lot of DV or HDV stuff in low-light. It not only removes noise but almost eliminates the compression artifacts from using those formats as well. It also works to just simply smooth decent quality video for a more "filmic" look.

Here's the link to their website and if you think their sample images and video are too good to be true...I swear, they're not. It does what they say it does and is worth every penny. I bought two licenses since I get 4 installs with that. It's my new favorite filter and it will get a lot more use. Here's the

I could see this plug-in being used for restoration or to even help match 10-15 year old footage with newer, higher quality footage if you do documentaries type work. It's that good. Read the online manual if you try the plug-in to learn to use it correctly, but it's really easy to use and really works

Chris Blair
Magnetic Image, Inc.
Evansville, IN

Return to posts index

Peter O'ConnellRe: Great De-noise Plug-in
by on Sep 25, 2009 at 1:41:55 pm

I agree

Rogue Keyframe
Feature Film Compositing

Return to posts index

Duncan MossRe: Great De-noise Plug-in
by on Dec 22, 2009 at 6:43:54 pm

I have to agree. This is the best tool I've ever seen for reducing noise. When you need it - you really need it and this one really works.

Duncan Moss
Moss Media Solutions

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved