ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

why does the pulldown phase change at edit points?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
dan freshmanwhy does the pulldown phase change at edit points?
by on Sep 24, 2009 at 7:56:47 pm

I'm trying to remove pulldown from a variety of clips and am just trying to understand this process. If a clip/movie has 50 cuts in 5 minutes, will there be 50 different pulldown phases if the footoage has been telecined?

thanks
dan

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: why does the pulldown phase change at edit points?
by on Sep 24, 2009 at 8:46:23 pm

It's very likely that the cuts will have been made at different spots in the 3:2 pulldown cadence, so no two back-to-back shots will be likely to retain the same cadence. You might get lucky on a couple, but you've got your pulldown removal work cut out for yourself.

That's why it's always, Always ALWAYS best to remove the pulldown BEFORE you edit!

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

dan freshmanRe: why does the pulldown phase change at edit points?
by on Sep 24, 2009 at 9:02:45 pm

That makes sense. But the footage I have I think was edited at 24p after it was shot before it was telecined. If this is the case, then removing pulldown with one phase *should be successful?

I guess I don't understand why any footage could/would have pulldown added before the edit is made. I may be missing something obvious.

thanks for the help,
dan

Return to posts index

by on Sep 24, 2009 at 9:11:02 pm

![dan freshman] "...the footage I have I think was edited at 24p after it was shot before it was telecined...."

Um, you wanna clarify that statement? It's either not correct, or it's the screwiest workflow I've ever heard of....

...and is this stuff actually telecined, as in real-live celluloid film being recorded to videotape? Or are you talking about a recording a 23.976 (aka 23.98) edit timeline to tape, and the capture card is adding the pulldown?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

dan freshmanRe: why does the pulldown phase change at edit points?
by on Sep 24, 2009 at 9:30:46 pm

Yes....telecine is the wrong word, I was thinking from 24p video not film...that all makes more sense now. Guess I was missing something obvious.

Return to posts index

by on Sep 24, 2009 at 9:35:07 pm

Okay, now I get it: it was shot at 24p and edited in a 29.97 timeline. The editor didn't think pulldown removal was necessary before editing. Now you're left holding the bag.

Have fun. And strangle the editor, which could be even more fun.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]