ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

After Effects CS4 Render Failed

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kevin VanAfter Effects CS4 Render Failed
by on Sep 24, 2009 at 4:17:02 pm

OK I did the secret prefs and made it purge 30 frames but I still get render railed at the same exact time it failed before I did the secret prefs. I don't get why it was able to render one of mine fine and this was not. This one was like 10 seconds while the other one was almost a minute.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: After Effects CS4 Render Failed
by on Sep 24, 2009 at 4:25:43 pm

Well, let's see... There's no useful information in the post besides a complaint. So I'll just have to gaze into the crystal ball for an answer or two.....

AHA! Something's materializing in the orb! Two possibilities! The first one: you're using Open GL when you try to render. Even the guys at Adobe turn off Open GL when they render... so you should too.

The second: you're trying to render footage shot on HDV. Read on:

Dave's Stock Answer #1:

If the footage you imported into AE is any kind of the following -- footage in an HDV acquisition codec, MPEG1, MPEG2, mp4, m2t, H.261 or H.264 -- you need to convert it to a different codec.

These kinds of footage use temporal, or interframe compression. They have keyframes at regular intervals, containing complete frame information. However, the frames in between do NOT have complete information. Interframe codecs toss out duplicated information.

In order to maintain peak rendering efficiency, AE needs complete information for each and every frame. But because these kinds of footage contain only partial information, AE freaks out, resulting in a wide variety of problems.

-----------------------------------------------

And actually, there's a third reason: a combination of the two reasons above. But now you already know what to do....

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Kevin VanRe: After Effects CS4 Render Failed
by on Sep 25, 2009 at 5:58:01 am

yeah I do not have the option for OpenGL b/c I'm using Windows 7 32bit

Return to posts index

Jeremy FabianoRe: After Effects CS4 Render Failed
by on Sep 24, 2009 at 4:41:11 pm

No one will likely be able to help unless they have some more information...

We see by the title you're on AE-CS4 - BUT!

what's in the comp?

What operating system?
How much ram?
How many cpus?
How fast cpus?
Do you have a crappy video card?
Do you have 9 bajillion programs running?
Is your HD full?
Do you have a virus?
Do you have multiprocessing enabled and didn't leave any ram for the os?

I'm sure I missed a bunch, but any one of those, or combination of any of those could attribute to a failed render.

Heck, AE might just be complaining about the type of video you've imported.. It hisses at certain codecs:

Dave LaRonde''s Stock Answer #1:

"If the footage you imported into AE is any kind of the following -- footage in an HDV acquisition codec, MPEG1, MPEG2, mp4, m2t, H.261 or H.264 -- you need to convert it to a different codec.

These kinds of footage use temporal, or interframe compression. They have keyframes at regular intervals, containing complete frame information. However, the frames in between do NOT have complete information. Interframe codecs toss out duplicated information.

In order to maintain peak rendering efficiency, AE needs complete information for each and every frame. But because these kinds of footage contain only partial information, AE freaks out, resulting in a wide variety of problems."

Get back to us with some more information so we can help you out :)

-Jeremy

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: After Effects CS4 Render Failed
by on Sep 24, 2009 at 7:02:42 pm

yep... we'll need more info.

the purge frames interval will usually only help if ae is having trouble clearing the ram cache during a render. you can usually tell if that is the problem if the render crashes when the 'ram' value (seen as the second item from the top of the render queue) hits the maximum ram cache value (usually around 60%).

if that's not the problem, then the purge frames interval will probably not help much.

aside from what has already been mentioned, you might also look at your comp and see what happens at the frames around that point. it may be that a layer or effect starts or stops right at that point and for some reason that is causing the problem. you'll also have to check the same point in any nested comps. if that is the case, we can try to troubleshoot it or find a work around.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

by on Sep 24, 2009 at 7:03:56 pm

ACK!

Dave posted while i was typing lol!

Return to posts index

by on Sep 25, 2009 at 5:50:40 am

it's around 60% for the RAM thingy...and I'm on Windows 7 RC...my HD has a lot more space so that's not an issue...for the rest I'm not sure where to find them *sorry I'm not too fond with laptops* lol

Return to posts index

by on Sep 25, 2009 at 5:52:38 am

Ok so what are you trying to render filetype and codec wise?

Return to posts index

by on Sep 25, 2009 at 5:56:09 am

h264...just going to render it for youtube

Return to posts index

by on Sep 25, 2009 at 5:57:41 am

Dave LaRonde''s Stock Answer #1:

"If the footage you imported into AE is any kind of the following -- footage in an HDV acquisition codec, MPEG1, MPEG2, mp4, m2t, H.261 or H.264 -- you need to convert it to a different codec."

H.264 can cause issues..

Return to posts index

by on Sep 25, 2009 at 7:11:14 pm

generally, ae does a poor job of rendering to codecs like h.264.

you'd be best off to render lossless, then use a compression utility like mpeg streamclip (free) to output an .mp4 using h.246 compression for youtube.

or, if you have cs4, you should also have adobe media encoder cs4, it actually has a few youtube presets you could use. media encoder can also 'render' an ae comp directly, so you may not need to 2-step it (render lossless, then compress that to h.264), although i haven't compared the quality of one vs the other.

here's a link to the manual for ame:
http://help.adobe.com/en_US/AdobeMediaEncoder/4.0/index.html

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

by on Sep 25, 2009 at 7:44:22 pm

And this is why I keep up with threads hehe.. didn't know about "mpeg streamclip" off to find it now. always awesome when you learn/find something new

-Jeremy

Return to posts index

by on Sep 25, 2009 at 8:04:56 pm

i'm sure you found it, but here's the link:

http://www.squared5.com/

i like streamclip for 3 reasons: easy, multi-platform, free. it could be better if it could create mpeg-2 in other formats like .mpg, .m2v and .mts. right now i can only create them as .mov.

fyi, media encoder does offer many mpeg-2 options, but i don't have a pc version of cs4 for a pc that i use for things other than ae.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

by on Sep 25, 2009 at 8:07:52 pm

cool just downloaded, yeah I'm going to download the demo of media encoder (if there is one, i haven't looked) and see if it's worth w/e cost adobe's gonna want for it..

-Jeremy

-------------------------------------------------
If you didn't supply enough information I will start making assumptions. I'm usually wrong when I assume.

Return to posts index

by on Sep 25, 2009 at 8:38:35 pm

i don't think you can get just media encoder... (i was looking for it too)

adobe seems to treat it much the way apple treats compressor, it's just a tool for premiere/ae so it only seems to come with the the cs4 versions of either of those or the production suite.

within the next few months, i'm going to need to find a smooth workflow to create a specific mpeg-2 for a new hd broadcast device that we are getting, and i'll need to do it from this one pc... but first i need them to set up the hd device, so i can start testing files/workflow.

if anyone happens to know of a utility that will take avi/mov and create an hd mpeg-2 that can be ready by a miranda vertigo system, i'd like to hear about it (not sure if it is .mpg, .m2v, .ts, .mts, etc.). once our vertigos are set up, i'll be asking in the compression forum.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

by on Sep 25, 2009 at 8:43:06 pm

heh.. figures CS4 only -.-

heck I'm still using my friends' copy of CS3 while he's in the airforce...

Hoping to get a freelance job or two and get cs4 master..

-Jeremy

If you didn't supply enough information I will start making assumptions. I'm usually wrong when I assume.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: After Effects CS4 Render Failed
by on Sep 25, 2009 at 8:46:30 pm

Make sure you're not running AMD processors. I've got a suite of CS4 applications on the home Windows box, and I can't use all the apps -- I've got a motherboard to replace. Ugh. Not to mention a total reinstall of software. I hate it.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

by on Sep 25, 2009 at 8:51:28 pm

hahaha AMD basher huh? No worries, Intel Core2Duo 1.8ghz (not over clocked), 2 gigs dual channel ram, nvidia 8600GT-S OC (not overclocked)

I have ONE amd box around, dual 2.8ghz, no ram. It's still sitting in the 5U rack box on my workbench LOL Just haven't had the time to find the right ram, not sure what I'm going to use it for. I'm considering adding it into my makeshift render farm for the time being.

My next computer will be a dual quadcore with as much ram as i can stuff into it..

Oh speaking of memory.. something a friend showed me http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/platform/server/PAE/PAEdrv.mspx - Physical Address Extension. Let's windows address a little bit more ram!

Haven't done any research on it yet, but I plan to.

-Jeremy

Return to posts index

Allan H.B. MartinRe: After Effects CS4 Render Failed
by on Sep 29, 2009 at 2:22:51 pm

SET TO THESE SETTINGS FOR THE BEST RENDER!!

Editing

Then

CS4 Settings 1

Then

AE CS4 Settings 2

If you are also having problems with the Open GL Preview, turn it off here.

open GL

Hope this helped. Let me know! allan@yourdreamscape.com

Return to posts index

by on Sep 29, 2009 at 7:05:42 pm

I found that using Adobe Encoder a lot better but thanks I'll try soon

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]