ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Distorted parenting...?!

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Johan MalmstenDistorted parenting...?!
by on Sep 24, 2009 at 2:06:27 pm

Hi all!

I've encountered this problem many a times in certain situations.

When I build 3D-things in After Effects I usually do some parenting between different solids and the likes as we all do. The problem comes though when I have parented something to an object, and then I try to rotate the parented part. It's dimensions goes amock and distorts in all ways and sizes! To the point that I can barely use it.

As an example, here's a link to an .aep that I made to test out some thoughts on a Motion Control Rig. Look at how it looks at the start and then run through the animation on the timeline. The only parameters that are animated are rotation-axis'es that are parented to each other to make up a pseudo-robotic arm thingy. The weirdest part is that the camera that is parented to the end of the arm distorts its output in an extreme way when it rotates around... I didn't even know that that was even possible?!

Is there some way around this? Or is it something I need to live with unless I get a dedicated 3d-modeling programs? is the problem common at all?

I'm using After Effects CS3 in a windows XP PC if it helps.

Return to posts index

Johan MalmstenRe: Distorted parenting...?!
by on Oct 17, 2009 at 8:29:42 pm

So I take it that there's no answer to this?

Return to posts index

Kira IvanovaRe: Distorted parenting...?!
by on Feb 18, 2012 at 12:51:47 am

Maybe this is due to the disproportional scaling of parent layer, which have caused the "distortion" of child layer.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved