ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

RAID 0 for AE

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
aaron martinezRAID 0 for AE
by on Sep 24, 2009 at 12:54:49 pm

Hello, iv been snooping around the forums looking for info on various internal RAID set ups...
I will do mostly After Effects stuff but sometime editing.

I am considering the following...

set up 1
3x 1TB drives, RAID 0

set up 2
2x 1TB drives, in a RAID 0
with the other bay used as a render drive.

my question is, with a three drive RAID 0 would my read and write times be faster or slower than a 2 drive Media drive and one drive dedicated to writing for rendering...

any shared experience would greatly be appreciated, or suggestions...

also i was considering the WD caviar Black drives, any good or bad expeirence with those?

ps- i am on a mac pro 8 core, if that helps in any way.

Return to posts index

jeff dobrowRe: RAID 0 for AE
by on Sep 24, 2009 at 1:45:40 pm

I have the WD Caviars. They are quite nice.

IMHO with 3 drives I would do a RAID 5. You get the great speed of a 2 drive RAID 0, BUT you are protected from data loss.

Personally I am 2 drive RAID 0, but I was ignorant to the RAID 5 when I set this up. 1080HD UC in AE is very fast.

Return to posts index

Brendan CootsRe: RAID 0 for AE
by on Sep 25, 2009 at 2:15:06 am

The WD Caviar Black drives are awesome in my experience. Solid, reliable and they really are faster than normal drives provided they aren't super full.

As for the RAID options, I would personally do a 3-drive RAID-1 for the protection. Three reasons - using software RAID (i.e. OSX's built-in RAID tools) results in less performance than a dedicated RAID card will deliver, and RAID 0 with less than 4 drives doesn't tend to be worth the price in my experience. The third point is that the more drives you add to the RAID, the higher the likelihood of failure. Minimal performance boost and greatly increased risk of losing all your files doesn't exactly sound worth it to me. If you want to fill your bays and get more storage space, configuring RAID-1 may be a better option.

The ideal RAID system starts with a dedicated card (even a cheaper one), 5 or more drives and a RAID 5 configuration. That's where you start to see performance increases that justify the expense AND enjoy safety with your precious files.

Brendan Coots

Splitvision Digital

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved