ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Time Re-mapping by Percentage

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrew WoodTime Re-mapping by Percentage
by on Sep 24, 2009 at 5:05:46 am

I am doing a music video and am in need of some help with the time remapping function in after effects.

I have footage filmed in 25fps that was being played in sync to an edited audio track, where some parts have being slowed down and some speed up.
I now want to edit this footage to the real time audio track.
I have separated all the parts where they are either playing the track faster or slower and made them into individual .mov files

For example the first one runs for 18 seconds and has been gradually speed up from 100% to 150%, i want to counter that now and sync it to the real time audio.

Is there a simple way of just speed ramping footage by entering the amount you want it speed up over a period of time??

Please don't hesitate to ask me some Q's as i know i probabaly have not explained my self very clearly!!
Any help would be much appreciated

Andrew Wood

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Time Re-mapping by Percentage
by on Sep 24, 2009 at 3:27:22 pm

Time Remapping won't cut it for you if you want to ramp speeds. As far as I know, there is NO widely-available software for desktop computers that does a good job of this. For your sake, perhaps someone will prove me wrong.

If you want good quality, you'll have to do the arithmetic and take it to a production house for the speed ramps. In cases like this, hardware trumps software any day.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Time Re-mapping by Percentage
by on Sep 24, 2009 at 6:53:05 pm

i'm not sure if the timewarp effect would do what you are looking for.

it will allow you to enter a speed percentage to speed/slow the footage, it will allow you to keyframe that value at specific times and it will interpolate new frames if needed to adjust for the speed.

it also gives you some control of over the interpolation with the tuning properties and it has a motion blur option.

but as dave mentioned, the results of interpolation aren't always what you expected. the best way to achieve speed ramp effects is to have footage that is shot slo-mo giving you at least the frame rate for the slowest shots, it always looks better to not need interpolated frames.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved