ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

solidworks to after effects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Hannah Gibsonsolidworks to after effects
by on Sep 24, 2009 at 12:47:42 am

Hello!

I have some 3d triangles made in Solidworks from a client that I need to take into after effects as a 3d object.

Does anyone know of any way to get a 3d model out of Solidworks and imported into After Effects?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: solidworks to after effects
by on Sep 24, 2009 at 3:34:25 pm

It's too bad you didn't read up on the topic before you assumed you could to this in AE. Now you can read how AE has to work with 3D objects:

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/AfterEffects/9.0/WS510B8F17-8644-43ce-977F-9678...

...and pay close attention to this crucial phrase: "To paint on the textures of the 3D object, modify its material options, change its lighting, or otherwise edit the 3D object itself, you must return to Photoshop."

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Hannah GibsonRe: solidworks to after effects
by on Sep 25, 2009 at 5:52:53 am

Thanks for your help David, I had tried to research this but clearly not well enough.

They were already existing in Solidworks made by someone else so that's why I hadn't just done them up in photoshop to begin with, and I am worried to recreate them as I had real physical objects made from the Solidworks file and need the the computer version to match directly to the physical real world version. I didn't want any depth or slight increments to change, so I thought I would just see if there was an easy way to get it over to After Effects first.

Thanks again, Solidworks does and Universal 3d export so this is the go I would say.

Return to posts index

by on Sep 25, 2009 at 4:01:25 pm

If I'm you, I'm only using AE for ccmpositing this project, and NOT for 3D animation. Do the 3D animation in a real 3D application, render the animation out of the 3D application in various passes, and do the final assembly in AE.

Unless you follow an EXTREMELY specific and precise set of conditions for working with 3D objects -- which are cumbersome at best to work with -- AE's out-of-the-box 3D capabilities are pretty much limited to moving 2D layers in 3D space on invisible popsicle sticks. You're trying to do a lot more with the software.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Hannah GibsonRe: solidworks to after effects
by on Sep 26, 2009 at 9:10:51 am

no 3d animation is intended, all i needed was the 3d object in after effects to map my 2D images and move the 2D images around in 3D space according to the 3d object.

i am not trying to use after effects as a 3d program, i just needed my 3d object as a guide for mapping video to it.

universal 3d file export out of solidworks has worked out too.

Return to posts index

by on Sep 24, 2009 at 4:34:40 pm

[Hannah Gibson] "I have some 3d triangles made in Solidworks from a client that I need to take into after effects as a 3d object. "

Here's another thought: if these are just simple tetrahedrons, why not just build the faces in Photoshop, then assemble them as 3D objects in AE?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]