ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Suggestions on how to film a sequence for post...

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael BrodnerSuggestions on how to film a sequence for post...
by on Sep 23, 2009 at 4:29:55 pm

Hey guys, I'm looking for some advice prior to filming a sequence for a music video.

The whole music video is going to be really energetic and pretty much all handheld with like, 10 frame cuts and jerky/sharp motion. (Reference the Anberlin video "Godspeed" on youtube if you can). That look is what I'm going for as far as camera movement. At the end of the song I want all these meteors to come screaming towards the ground but here's my dihlema: I want to incorporate some of the dirt puffs, explosions, etc. from Action Essential 2 into this video but am wondering how to approach the filming aspect of it. It'd be an absolute bear to motion track shots of this nature I am assuming, correct?

I thought about shooting on a tripod and then adding in the motion later but isn't that essentially zooming in on the image, which in return loses visual quality and nice crisp HD? Plus, I've dabbled a touch in doing this effect and I've never really gotten absolutely great results from it. It looks like I added in the motion as opposed to looking like real movement. Tripod shots along with stand out like a sore thumb as well compared to how the rest of the footage will look.

Thoughts? Tips, Advice?

Return to posts index

Jeremy FabianoRe: Suggestions on how to film a sequence for post...
by on Sep 23, 2009 at 5:18:38 pm

Andrew has some nice motion tracking tutorials somewhere on his site, also his meteor tutorial is VERY detailed (all 6 of them :D ), might be worth a look.

As for the motion tracking being a bear.. well as long as your footage doesn't become blurry (not being able to track the reference points you SHOULD be fine. Should be able to stabilize it, add the fx, then remove the stability.

Just don't forget to use the motion tile and hit mirror edges on the last bit, or you might have the shot moving off of the comp and showing black in the back.

And how is action essentials two? Haven't had a chance to get a copy yet..

-Jeremy

Return to posts index

Michael BrodnerRe: Suggestions on how to film a sequence for post...
by on Sep 23, 2009 at 5:32:43 pm

Yeah I've seen the meteor tutorials. Maybe I'll upload a sample clip of how the whole shoot will look to show you guys an idea of what I mean.

I'll give it a shot, forgot about the motion tiling! Thanks

ACtion Essentials is incredible. I haven't used much of it yet but I plan to. I bought it specifically for this shoot.

Return to posts index

Jeremy FabianoRe: Suggestions on how to film a sequence for post...
by on Sep 23, 2009 at 5:44:48 pm

Yeah I'd be up for a sample, gives a fresh perspective too on things you might not have thought about :) I always welcome a second (and third.. and fourth..and..) opinion hehe

Sometimes it's your friends, family and colleagues that trigger a thought that turns something awesome into something spectacular.

-Jeremy

Return to posts index

Michael BrodnerRe: Suggestions on how to film a sequence for post...
by on Sep 23, 2009 at 10:29:31 pm

Here's a link to a sample clip. Note that this is not something that will be in the actual video but rather, the way I will be filming the band when the day comes. Also, this is the actual location of our shoot...

Return to posts index

Philippe LessardRe: Suggestions on how to film a sequence for post...
by on Sep 24, 2009 at 2:16:13 pm

If you have to track the motion, consider a planar tracker like mocha for after effects instead of a point tracker, because your camera shake is kinda shaky for a point tracker.You can shot a scene on a tripod in hd then reshot the same scene with your jerky movement, track this movement then add it to your tripod shot that already have the effect on it.That prevent every track/matching movement problem and add a realistic movement, because is actually a real movement to your camera, and if you shot in HD you'll have a lot of space to to zoom in your SD and add some pan...

Hope this help

Return to posts index

Tony SilvaRe: Suggestions on how to film a sequence for post...
by on Sep 23, 2009 at 10:45:01 pm

I'd storyboard the whole thing first! :P

what's your final output? If it's SD, then you could shoot it HD and have a lot of freedom in post for shaky quick zooms. I would shoot like 10 takes, 2 stable tripod takes, then a bunch of zooms/pans.

another trick would be to have them perform at 1/2 speed then speed it back up in post. That would give you a fast moving camera.

Return to posts index

Brendan CootsRe: Suggestions on how to film a sequence for post...
by on Sep 25, 2009 at 2:17:10 am

A pro only plans effects that they can completely pull off based on the resources available to them. My advice would be to avoid any and all effects that have the potential to look hokey because you lack the resources to really make them shine.

Brendan Coots

Splitvision Digital

http://www.splitvisiondigital.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]