ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Is my PCup to scratch for AE and what should I upgrade?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jake SedgeIs my PCup to scratch for AE and what should I upgrade?
by on Sep 23, 2009 at 3:29:45 pm

Basically, I would like to optimise my system for AE editing at 720p. Here are my specs:

CPU: AMD Phenom x4 9650 @ 2.3Ghz
RAM: Standard 2x2Gb @800Mhz
GPU: EVGA 9800GTX 512Mb
HDD: Hitachi Deskstar 500Gb (8mb cache, 7200RPM)...I know!
OS: Windows Vista HP 32-bit (plan to upgrade to Win 7 64-bit)

I am assuming that I need a second dedicated hard drive,can anyone recommend one? Also, do you think the rest of my PC is OK for 1280x720 editing?

Return to posts index

Jeremy FabianoRe: Is my PCup to scratch for AE and what should I upgrade?
by on Sep 23, 2009 at 5:14:35 pm

LOL

Your PC is better than mine and I can edit that res w/out problems (With less ram than you have). Of course I haven't tried any really long things, longest I've had to do is a few FX shots at about 30-45 seconds long. If you already have afterfx I'd try to acquire some footage in the length you're looking to be working on and see how it feels.

Main reason I say that, is a lot of times the program will still work with the more intensive clips, but SPEED and LAGTIME will be different.

Also, what's blazing fast for me, might be slower than molasses in the winter for you depending on what you're used to..

As for the rest of your questions:

Win7 + AE? Don't know, I don't have any experience with Win7 yet. I'm sure someone on here's tried it and could be a little more useful.

Your HD? Well, you have 3 times more HD than I do.. and I'm doing fine. It really depends on what you're going to be using it for.

But yes, in MY perfect world (in layman's terms: if i was getting paid) , there'd be a second hard drive just for my video stuff (1tb-3tb) AND in my opinion I'd say another HD dedicated to AE cache and Windows Swap File.

I have noticed a significant increase in performance by moving those to another HD *on another channel*

New toy just out: Sata 10k RPM hd's. Might be something worth looking into - the difference between a 5400 rpm and a 7200 rpm is very very noticeable.. and I work on 10k and 15k rpm SCSI drives.. It's a MASSIVE difference in performance (in my opinion).

Well, that's my point of view, granted I don't have 'commercial' experience, but I do own/run a PC shop so........ yea.

Hope that helps :D

-Jeremy

Return to posts index

Jake SedgeRe: Is my PCup to scratch for AE and what should I upgrade?
by on Sep 23, 2009 at 9:31:59 pm

Thanks!

I think the main problem I had was that I was working with M2TS which caused the bad output. I think I will get a decent HDD for my videos because it is probably just my hard drive having a hard time playing it back.

Thanks for the info,
Jake

Return to posts index

by on Sep 23, 2009 at 9:34:59 pm

could also be format related... search for dave laronde's "stock answer #1" i believe its called.. he lists all the formats that ae hisses at...

-Jeremy

Return to posts index

anita sanchaRe: Is my PCup to scratch for AE and what should I upgrade?
by on Sep 24, 2009 at 12:39:33 pm

New toy just out: Sata 10k RPM hd's. Might be something worth looking into - the difference between a 5400 rpm and a 7200 rpm is very very noticeable.. and I work on 10k and 15k rpm SCSI drives.. It's a MASSIVE difference in performance (in my opinion).

Can you please tell me what the difference in performance is ...in what area? what tasks?previews? render? can you please be more specific?

Thanks

Thanks for all your help
Anita Sancha.

http://www.anitasancha.co.uk

Return to posts index

by on Sep 24, 2009 at 4:22:48 pm

File transfer, read times, write times, general access times.

Files load faster in general. The only area it might help with rendering and such is if you're using your HD for cache, at which point it should be able to read/write to the disk cache faster.

Well.. it also might help the rendering speed at least slightly in the area of writing image sequences faster (but not the rendering itself). I noticed on my 5400 rpm drive it's a LOT slower doing image sequences than my 7200 rpm drive.

Should be able to load programs faster as well.

I'll have them in my catalog soon, but they are available around the net.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]