ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

workspace from AE7 to CS4

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dave Flemingworkspace from AE7 to CS4
by on Sep 23, 2009 at 1:39:43 pm

I'm preparing to upgrade from AE7 to CS4. How can I port over a workspace that I use in AE7? I've undocked every panel, splayed them out over two monitors, changed colors, etc. Definitely not work I'd like to do again...Anyone know how to import this existing workspace?

Dave

Return to posts index

Ben HeusnerRe: workspace from AE7 to CS4
by on Sep 23, 2009 at 6:03:23 pm

I'm not sure if this will work for V7 to CS4 (it does for CS3) and you don't say if you're on Mac or Windows, so I'll do my best to give you a generic answer that works!

If you do a search for a folder called "ModifiedWorkspaces" you'll find an xml file for your personal workspace. "Workspaces.xml" should be in the folder above where you found the previous ModifiedWorkspaces folder. It's in the preferences folder basically, but these are hidden in different places depending on the platform. So a simple search is just as simple.

Hope that helps,
Ben

Curious Turtle Pro Video
Training | Editing | Support
Out Now - Film Wash Color Effects Vol. 3
for After Effects & Apple Color

Return to posts index

Dave FlemingRe: workspace from AE7 to CS4
by on Sep 23, 2009 at 8:13:52 pm

Thanks for the reply, Ben. I should have been more clear: I'm running Windows XP.

After an exhaustive search through hidden files, I managed to find a ModifiedWorkspaces folder here:

C:\Documents and Settings\dfleming\Application Data\Adobe\After Effects\7.0\ModifiedWorkspaces

However, the three .xml files in that folder have the very un-helpful names of UserWorkspace1.xml, UserWorkspace2.xml and UserWorkspace3.xml (my workspace is named "Dave Workspace" in AE). One of the files has today's date; the other two are older. Is this what I'm looking for?

df

Return to posts index

Ben HeusnerRe: workspace from AE7 to CS4
by on Sep 24, 2009 at 4:49:33 am

Yeah, I should've said they were hidden! Nasty things to find. In Vista it's even worse (C:\Users\Ben\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\After Effects\8.0\ModifiedWorkspaces)

You've got nothing to lose by copying over everything you find there. If you want to be picky then you can open the XML files and do a search for "Dave Workspace" and it'll pop up between a .

Cheers,
Ben

Curious Turtle Pro Video
Training | Editing | Support
Out Now - Film Wash Color Effects Vol. 3
for After Effects & Apple Color

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]