ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

technical comp settings for a composite project for web

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
toby Heslop
technical comp settings for a composite project for web
on Sep 23, 2009 at 9:05:04 am

Hi Guys,

Looking for opinions on workflow settings for a composite job delivered as full res (prores) files that will be intergrated into a web site. Here are the details:

- Green screen footage shot on XDCAM EX 1080 25P
- BG plate recieved as 1024x576 PNG

So i have begun by keying the HD footage in the matching comp. Then I will move the keyed footage comp over to an SD comp and composite this into the plate scene. just not sure which SD comp settings I should use here.

I tried setting a SD widescreen Square Pixel comp but the frame size of this is 1050 which is larger than my plate in width. Also looked a SD Widescreen setting and I get the same problem. The plate does not have the same width. It's not a super issue th fit the plate to the comp with but would like to do it the right way to start.

I'm thinking that because I'm delivering the composite to a web programmer that I should work in Square pixels and deliver square pixels on output as they will not be working in anamorpic when it comes to integrating the footage into Flash. and this would keep everything 16:9 and web pixel aspect.

So 1. Should I stretch the plate out to 1050pix?

2. Should i compoite in the square pix comp?

3. should I render the final scenes as 1024 or 1050 wide?

4. How does this all work with Pro res when it's a custom frame size?

look forward to hearing your thoughts

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: technical comp settings for a composite project for web
on Sep 23, 2009 at 11:14:15 am

You're correct that it should be square pixels, but start by asking the web folks how big they'd like this video to be. The answer will determine what you should deliver, and the size of your comp in AE.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

toby Heslop
on Sep 23, 2009 at 11:20:49 am

They want me to deliver in Pro res, at SD frame size, which they will compress within their workflow,

So should deliver Prores, Square 1050x576.... right?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 23, 2009 at 11:29:54 am

I think you'd want to use 1024x576 instead -- it's pretty much SD (4x3 PAL SD is 720x576), and it's 16x9 in square pixels.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

toby Heslop
on Sep 23, 2009 at 9:42:26 pm

That's what I thought, but why does AFX set Widescreen Square pix comps to 1050?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 24, 2009 at 3:19:36 pm

In response to TV industry requests, Adobe changed pixel aspect ratios. There's a reason for it, I don't understand it, and so when I do square-pixel work, I still go with resolutions that look right once I've done the arithmetic.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]