ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Spatially smoothing Position Curves

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Arnold
Spatially smoothing Position Curves
on Sep 22, 2009 at 9:26:16 pm

I am more of a 3d guy using Cinema 4D, but I'm doing a project for what I thought would be easier in After Effects. So I animated a 3D layer in after effects with linear keyframes, the Animation being about 2 minutes long. Then I went back and did another pass to adjust the temporal keyframes to how I needed them to sit. Then I went back for a third pass, spatially interpreting the keyframes in order to get a nice smooth motion of the layer.

Now in C4D if I was to grab a spline and select all the points and smooth them I would get a super clean motion path, but in After Effects, selecting all the points and setting them to "continuous bezier" or "auto bezier" gives an ugly result. All the curves in the front and top view stretch so far beyond the next keyframe for keyframes that are close together. I need to do 5 more animations like this and I just don't have the time to adjust individually all the curves in 3D space. Is there an easier way, or perhaps a script I can implement?

Thanks,

Chris Arnold

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Spatially smoothing Position Curves
on Sep 22, 2009 at 10:35:31 pm

[Chris Arnold] "All the curves in the front and top view stretch so far beyond the next keyframe for keyframes that are close together."

If I'm reading this correctly, your motion path would then do this wild gyration between the closely-spaced keyframes, right?

Aharon Rabinowitz calls this the Boomerang effect, and there's even a couple of podcasts telling you how to stop it:

http://podcasts.creativecow.net/after-effects-tutorials-podcast/ae-boomeran...
http://podcasts.creativecow.net/after-effects-tutorials-podcast/ae-boomeran...

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Chris Arnold
on Sep 23, 2009 at 1:35:32 pm

Yes, thanks for that post, it is the Boomerang effect that I am dealing with here. Unfortunately Aharon Rabinowitz gives 2 results, one being using hold keyframes when you have two keyframes with the same position, and the other, setting interpretation to Linear for when the position moves on a straight line. Both are great solves but don't touch on a continuous non-linear motion.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 23, 2009 at 1:43:09 pm

Okay, here's solution number three, to be used when numbers one and two fail:
  • Put the timeline cursor on the errant keyframe in question and highlight it
  • Grab the keyframe's Bezier handle in the comp window. The two sides of the handle should move together. Rotate and adjust handle length as necessary.

That ought to do it.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Chris Arnold
on Sep 23, 2009 at 2:21:45 pm

The issue I have is a 3D comp with close to a hundred keyframes, and it's super difficult to adjust the bezier curves in the different 3D views in AE. Would take a long time, though it's possible, it would be great if there was a "spatial" easing script out there. I did find this script, but it seems to be only a "temporal" ease.

Ease and Wizz:
http://aescripts.com/ease-and-wizz/

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]