ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

AE should be faster... right.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Travis WermedalAE should be faster... right.
by on Sep 22, 2009 at 7:00:16 pm

I am running CS4 on my quad-core mac. I just upgraded to 14GB of RAM so I feel like AE should be running a lot faster than it is. I am working with a 3D project that consists of only text (but a ton of it) and when I move the playhead it takes a good 5-7 seconds to display the frame, which makes it virtually impossible to edit.

I have the Render Multi frames checked with minimum allocation set at 2.09, and the slider to the left...
Foreground 1.79gb
Background 8.36gb

Also, how does the disk cache effect speed?
And how high should I set the max. disk cache?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as to how to set up my machine more optimally. THANKS A BUNCH.

Return to posts index

Simon BonnerRe: AE should be faster... right.
by on Sep 22, 2009 at 7:06:06 pm

It does sound a little slow for just text, but I guess if you have lots of different layers... At the risk of sounding obvious, you might want to work with the resolution at 50% or lower, with blur effects (like camera depth of field) turned off, and perhaps with pre-rendered layers (e.g if you have finished working on a number of layers, render just those layers out and then reimport them - you can always switch out for the original layers when you do your final render if you prefer).

Simon Bonner

Return to posts index

Brian CharlesRe: AE should be faster... right.
by on Sep 22, 2009 at 7:15:36 pm

Are you using Motion Blur and lights? Those can slow frame preview dramatically. Is OpenGL on? That can speed up 3D previews.

Additional RAM doesn't really increase working speed, just gives you longer RAM previews and allows you to use multiple cores when rendering. I'm on a dual quad-core mac with 16GB of RAM, a similar configuration to yours.

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: AE should be faster... right.
by on Sep 22, 2009 at 7:47:12 pm

First, make sure that you've updated to After Effects CS4 (9.0.2). There were a lot of performance improvements in that update.

Second, check out the many tips on improving performance here.

You ask about the disk cache. See this page. The disk cache doesn't affect RAM preview, by the way.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

Erik LindahlRe: AE should be faster... right.
by on Sep 23, 2009 at 11:19:59 am

Two things that will bog your rendering / preview speed down are:

1. Working in greater than 8-bits
2. Working with a color managed project

No 1 is pretty obvious why it will make things render slowly.

Why no 2 makes life unbearable in AE I'd personally like to know. The speed hit is just to high for me to be able to use that. Even after a render is done the screen refresh is dog slow (in combination with the speed hit video-output over the video-card get's, this is amazingly slow).

But yeah, in general, working with 3D layers in AE with DoF effects, lights, shadows etc is dog slow. The end result can be really nice, but you need patients to say the least.

Erik Lindahl
Freecloud Communication

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved