ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Network Rendering?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jake Sedge
Network Rendering?
on Sep 22, 2009 at 6:28:10 pm

Hi,
I have a fairly good computer, but I can't output 1080p HD without lag. I am building a similar computer for my friend. I have heard about network rendering, my question is, would I be able to use this, how would I set it up and how effective would it be?

The main problem is that my friend lives about a mile away so we cannot share a wireless network. How would we create a network? I do have an old computer I could use as a server if necessary.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Network Rendering?
on Sep 22, 2009 at 6:46:22 pm

[Jake Sedge] "I have a fairly good computer, but I can't output 1080p HD without lag."

And "lag" means exactly WHAT? Not real time? Not Instantaneous? This is AE you're talking about, not editing software, and AE was never, EVER built for speed.

You're also talking about 1080p, and unless you possess a $75,000 Sony Cine Alta camera with true 1920x1080 resolution in the codec of your choice, I assume you actually mean mere HDV... and nativwe HDV slows down AE considerably.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Jake Sedge] "I have heard about network rendering, my question is, would I be able to use this, how would I set it up and how effective would it be? "

You do so at your own peril. That's an old strategy for speeding up render times. AE is far more comfortable with multicore rendering.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Jake Sedge] "...my friend lives about a mile away so we cannot share a wireless network. How would we create a network? I do have an old computer I could use as a server if necessary...."

My advice -- just get used to the way AE works in the real world and abandon these fantasies.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jake Sedge
on Sep 22, 2009 at 7:09:15 pm

Suppose your right! The problem I have is after the export where the video stops and starts and the sound is distorted. This is not a playback problem. In Premiere Pro, I used to get perfect playback, so it must be a problem I have with AE rendering.

I am not trying to speed up render times or playback,I just want the output to be good.

Oh, and sorry, it's 1080i, and it IS HDV.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 22, 2009 at 7:54:00 pm

[Jake Sedge] "The problem I have is after the export where the video stops and starts and the sound is distorted.... it's 1080i, and it IS HDV."

Aha! I'm almost sure the two statements above are related. Read on....

Dave's Stock Answer #1:

If the footage you imported into AE is any kind of the following -- footage in an HDV acquisition codec, MPEG1, MPEG2, mp4, m2t, H.261 or H.264 -- you need to convert it to a different codec.

These kinds of footage use temporal, or interframe compression. They have keyframes at regular intervals, containing complete frame information. However, the frames in between do NOT have complete information. Interframe codecs toss out duplicated information.

In order to maintain peak rendering efficiency, AE needs complete information for each and every frame. But because these kinds of footage contain only partial information, AE freaks out, resulting in a wide variety of problems.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Stuart Elith
on Sep 23, 2009 at 4:07:27 am

Jake, in addition to the comments from Dave, I have to question what you mean by "after the export where the video stops and starts and the sound is distorted. This is not a playback problem."

Are you saying that AFTER you export a project from After Effects, when you go to look at it in a media player (such as quicktime) the playback skips and lags? Because this is a separate problem, not to do with after effects. Computers have to decode videos for playback, and this takes differing amounts of processor power. So on my 8-core mac, I can't play uncompressed HD footage in realtime (in Quicktime) but if I convert it to a different codec such as H2.64 I can...

But this may not be what you mean, it's just what I interpreted :)

Return to posts index

david bogie
on Sep 22, 2009 at 7:18:16 pm

What's that distributed engine called, Nitro, Atomic Waste, Embolism, something like that.? It's highly regarded.

bogiesan

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 22, 2009 at 7:20:46 pm

Oh, Nucleo... ah, that was pretty much abandoned as soon as AE gained the capability for multicore processing.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Jake Sedge
on Sep 22, 2009 at 8:16:59 pm

Thanks SO much! The video I am working with is m2ts from a Sony AVCHD camcorder!

Which format would you convert it to, and what program would you use, because all the converters I have used produced sub-standard quality and was often choppy itself.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 22, 2009 at 8:46:52 pm

Since I'm a Mac guy, I naturally gravitate to Quicktime. Since I'm ALSO an FCP/AE guy, I'd capture HDV footage as Prores and use it in AE. If I got it from another person, I'd convert the footage to Quicktime's Animation codec using QTPro/Apple Compressor/Adobe Media Encoder.

But there is compression software too, like Sorenson Video 3 and such.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Jake Sedge
on Sep 22, 2009 at 10:09:08 pm

Thanks so much for your input! I will be experimenting with a few different pieces of software in the morning (its 11PM here in the UK!). I can't thank you enough for your help!

Return to posts index

Jake Sedge
on Sep 23, 2009 at 3:10:11 pm

GREAT NEWS FOR ANYONE WITH THE SAME PROBLEM AS ME!

To tackle the problem of choppy output:

1)I imported the M2TS file into Sony Vegas.

2) Cropped it and rendered as WMV V11 with a 5Mbps HD 720-25p template (my hard drive is not up to 1080!)

3) Imported into after effects and did what I needed to do with it (preview was smooth)

4)Rendered as Windows Media 1280x720

5) After my hard drive got used to it, it played back very smoothly, with a fair quality loss, but nothing major, and no annoying horizontal lines like when you convert it using a normal converter.

Thanks to Dave LaRonde for getting me this far!

Return to posts index

Jake Sedge
on Sep 23, 2009 at 12:46:56 pm

So, am I looking for a M2TS compressor or converter, and which codec would you recommend? I am not very good with codecs, so are there any standard codecs you could suggest?

Thanks,
Jake

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]