ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

HDV footage in AE CS4 is squished

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Roberto MartinezHDV footage in AE CS4 is squished
by on Sep 22, 2009 at 12:04:57 am

Hi, I shot some stuff with a Sony V1U (HDV) I captured it to final cut under the Apple prores codec.
When I bring it in to after effects and make a comp with the same settings as the clips 1440x1080...
All the footage is squished..I did a test and exported it, to see if whether it just did that during the work process but it came out the same way...completely squished...I know that HDV plays back at 1920x1080 am I suppose to put that resolution in the comp settings?

Return to posts index

Danny WinnRe: HDV footage in AE CS4 is squished
by on Sep 22, 2009 at 2:24:46 am

I think I know whats going on here. after you drop your footage into a new comp, there is a little button at the bottom of the video window. It's just to the right of the "1 view" dropdown arrow, it's a rectangle with a line and an arrow point on each end above it. If you hover over it with your mouse it's called "Toggle pixel aspect ratio correction" Click that and see if it makes your comp appear full wide (16.9).

You don't want to "export" out, you'll want to add you comp to the render que and then select the various settings under the "lossless" tab. Make sure to select the "stretch" box then select your desired settings. That's a very fast rundown on the render out procedure but there's much more to it than that. Just start messing with all the settings to figure it all out & read the AE outputting instructions at Adobe.com as well.

Hope this helps.

Return to posts index

Roberto MartinezRe: HDV footage in AE CS4 is squished
by on Sep 22, 2009 at 4:01:56 am

Thanks, I figured that little problem out a little while after I put up the post.
But, then I added it to the render queue and it came out squashed...So, I'll try that stretch option.

Just out of curiosity, am I degrading the videos quality because it's being squashed then unsquatched?

Return to posts index

Ben HeusnerRe: HDV footage in AE CS4 is squished
by on Sep 22, 2009 at 5:45:18 am

Are you exporting from After Effects with the intention of bringing it back into your FCP sequence? If so, then you want to keep it to your original settings.

What's happening here is HDV uses non-square pixels, which need to be stretched out to display the image "correctly". As long as the clips have the correct PAR assigned to them then Final Cut will know what to do with them.

Avoid resizing the footage to 1920x1080 when exporting from After Effects if the rest of your clips on the FCP timeline are still 1440x1080. When you drop your new clip in, FCP will want to render it.

Read more about Pixel Aspect Ratios in the help.

Hope that helps,
Ben

Curious Turtle Pro Video
Training | Editing | Support
Out Now - Film Wash Color Effects Vol. 3
for After Effects & Apple Color

Return to posts index

Roberto MartinezRe: HDV footage in AE CS4 is squished
by on Sep 22, 2009 at 5:59:52 am

Okay, Thanks!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: HDV footage in AE CS4 is squished
by on Sep 22, 2009 at 4:09:14 pm

[Roberto Martinez] "...I know that HDV plays back at 1920x1080 am I suppose to put that resolution in the comp settings? "

Nope. that's because HDV is RECORDED as 1440x1080. Look at the footage's resolution in the FCP bowser to confirm it.

All you had to do was to turn on the pixel aspect ratio compensation switch at the bottom of the AE Comp Window to see a 16x9 image, and all you had to do in FCP is click on the footage's Anamorphic switch in the FCP Browser.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]