ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Losing files in After Effects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
fulani Carter
Losing files in After Effects
on Sep 20, 2009 at 9:17:24 pm

I'm relearning After Effects,the one problem I can't find a good answer to is the followig: Everytime I open a project I've had numerous files dropped. What do I do to keep this from happening?
How do I recover all of the files without having to do one at a time?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Fabiano
Re: Losing files in After Effects
on Sep 21, 2009 at 9:03:30 am

Hmm By dropped do you mean like "missing footage" type of thing?

-Jeremy

Return to posts index

fulani Carter
on Sep 21, 2009 at 8:35:26 pm

YA I LOST 40FILES AND IT KEEPS HAPPENING.BEFORE I CLOSE A PROJECT I ALWAYS COLLECT ALL THE FILES,BUT UPON OPENING THE PROGRAM I HAVE THE SAME SHIT HAPPENING OVER AND OVER.ANY SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE APPRECIATED.

Return to posts index

Dave Johnson
on Sep 21, 2009 at 1:10:39 pm

[fulani Carter] "Everytime I open a project I've had numerous files dropped. What do I do to keep this from happening?"

Not change the file names or the locations of the files on your hard drives once you've used them in AE projects.

[fulani Carter] "How do I recover all of the files without having to do one at a time?"

Move the files back to the locations and/or file names they had when you used them in your AE projects.

If you have not moved the files or changed their names, there is likely something wrong with the AE project file or your install of AE and you will need to correct whatever it is.

Return to posts index

fulani Carter
on Sep 21, 2009 at 8:41:42 pm

THANK YOU FOR THAT ENLIGHTENED RESPONSE. I'VE BEEN LEARNING A/E FOR OVER 4YRS AND ITS ONLY NOW STARTING TO SINK IN. WHAT I NEED TO KNOW IS HOW DO I GET A LARGE NUMBER OF FILES BACK AT THE SAME TIME.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 21, 2009 at 9:44:30 pm

[fulani Carter] "WHAT I NEED TO KNOW IS HOW DO I GET A LARGE NUMBER OF FILES BACK AT THE SAME TIME. "

Sorry, it's not that automatic. You have some work to do. But maybe not.....

If by "losing files", you actually mean, "I don't see the files in the folder where I put all my footage, but I still see them in After Effects," you're in luck! You can use the Collect Files command. AE will put copies of all your files into one folder for you, and look for them in that folder. Here, read all about it:
http://help.adobe.com/en_US/AfterEffects/9.0/WS3878526689cb91655866c1103a4f...

But if you mean, "AE can't find some of my files, and they show up as color bars", that's not so good. You'll have to reconnect those files manually. Double-click on a missing file, then navigate to the folder where it's located. If you're lucky, and have more than one file in that location, AE will locate them, too.

Once you're all done, you can use the Collect Files command as above.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Oh, and another thing...
on Sep 21, 2009 at 10:20:52 pm

...once you've done all that hard work, save the project file! Save a copy!

Save in AE like people vote in Chicago: they do it early & often.

If you still have problems after all that, I don't think it's AE's fault.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

fulani Carter
on Sep 22, 2009 at 10:57:51 pm

Thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]