ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

After Effect 9.0.2 freezes on doing ANYTHING. Snow Leopard? Help!

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sara NichollsAfter Effect 9.0.2 freezes on doing ANYTHING. Snow Leopard? Help!
by on Sep 19, 2009 at 6:01:01 am

Hi there all,

I'm running an early 2008 iMac
2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
3GB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM

I recently installed Snow Leopard and since then when I try to import Illustrator files into After Effects the program freezes. It refuses to do it. It also freezes when I try to open existing projects.

I'm currently only running the trial version of 9.0.2

I completed each of the steps in this: http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/405/kb405948.html troubleshooting guide to no avail.

I'm fairly new to AE and to macs in general so please be gentle with your advice.

I've done everything short of uninstalling and reinstalling the program.. that will probably be my next step.

Anyone think this is related to Snow Leopard? I didn't think to make any kind of back-up before I installed it. Live and learn.

Thanks

Sara

Return to posts index

Sara NichollsRe: After Effect 9.0.2 freezes on doing ANYTHING. Snow Leopard? Help!
by on Sep 19, 2009 at 7:23:34 am

Uninstalled and reinstalled and it almost seems worse.

How I hate the colour wheel of doom. Ugh.

Return to posts index

Brian DeViteriRe: After Effect 9.0.2 freezes on doing ANYTHING. Snow Leopard? Help!
by on Sep 19, 2009 at 8:55:43 pm

I will ask the proverbial questions that will be needed to help out...

System & Specs
RAM
OS Version
Quicktime Version
Plug-ins?
Codecs of footage used

Does this happen on AE startup, or while working on projects?

Does this happen when loading a particular plug-in? (I've heard some plug-ins are not 10.6.x ready and need to be updated...)

When you did the Snow Leopard upgrade, did you "upgrade" or did you do a "clean install"?

When you reinstalled AE, did you remove ALL OF YOUR SETTINGS, LIBRARY ITEMS, etc. or did you just dump the APPS?

Running just AE, AE as part of production pack, AE as master collection?

Did you just reinstall AE, or everything Adobe?

Did you clone your OS disk prior to the install?

Speaking from previous experience (and why I am currently holding off on the upgrade), doing a CLEAN INSTALL is the only way I will EVER install an OS in the future. In fact, when I do upgrade to 10.6.x, I will be dual-booting my machine. Everything "works" now on 10.5.x, and I'd like to keep that as an option if everything starts to "not work" after an "upgrade".

Return to posts index

Sara NichollsRe: After Effect 9.0.2 freezes on doing ANYTHING. Snow Leopard? Help!
by on Sep 19, 2009 at 10:05:18 pm

Hi Brian and thanks for taking the time to respond.

I'm running OS X 10.6.1.
2.4 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo Processor
3GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

I have Quicktime X (god I hate it) / Quicktime 7.6.3 in terms of QT Player. 7.6.3 quicktime plugin.

Sorry I'm not sure what you're asking me in terms of plugins.. would be happy to fill you in but I just don't know. I'm fairly sure the answer is "none" or whatever comes as standard.

The only footage I'm using are illustrator files I'm animating. I believe they are 16 bit, 200dpi if that has any bearing on it.

The freezes happen when I try to open my existing project (uses all Illustrator footage) and when I try to import (.ai) footage into a new project.

It starts up fine as long as it's not trying to open an existing project.

I did the"upgrade" install and I guess I'm learning my lesson. This is my first experience with an OS upgrade and I had no idea it was better to do a clean install. To be honest if I'd known that was the better idea I might not have even bothered with Snow Leopard at all as the whole thing scares me..!

I did not clone my OS disk prior to install. Another lesson learnt.

I had installed some of the Master Collection from a friend's discs anticipating buying serials for the products I installed but unemployment has meant I couldn't afford it yet.

All adobe products on my machine:
After Effects (uninstalled Master Collection version and DLed and installed as trial from adobe.com - 11 days left)
Photoshop
Illustrator (DLed from adobe as trial - 10 days left)
Fireworks (never used)
Premiere(never used)

I only uninstalled and reinstalled AE - I DID remove all settings and library items on uninstalling.

Any advice you can give is appreciated - sorry if I've answered anything incorrectly/incompletely.

As I say this is my first mac of my own and I'm learning when it comes to good practice.

Thanks again

Sara

Return to posts index

Brian DeViteriRe: After Effect 9.0.2 freezes on doing ANYTHING. Snow Leopard? Help!
by on Sep 20, 2009 at 2:11:31 pm

off the bat, I do not believe QT "X" is supported. may need to go through the downgrade options with that - someone may have written an article/post on the how-to - I have not done this myself, so I can't advise...

are you sure you projects are not corrupted? if this is happening on multiple existing projects, but NOT on new projects, then I would not rule out corruption.

you did not upgrade AI? so you have AE CD4 and AI CS3 or CS4?

also, you do not have a license for AI? this "MAY" be creating an issue when trying to import the AI files. do you NEW projects work fine when working with just footage or AE native elements?

did you wipe out ALL of the AI settings in the library before the install?

I do not know what the TRIAL limitations are without a serial number. This may be a question for Adobe.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: After Effect 9.0.2 freezes on doing ANYTHING. Snow Leopard? Help!
by on Sep 20, 2009 at 6:52:51 pm

Apple makes Snow Leopard sound like the greatest thing since sliced bread.

It might be if you only run applications from Apple, but who does THAT? Remember, Snow Leopard came out AFTER AE9. How can Adobe compensate for something it hasn't even seen?

I'm afraid you've just learned a hard lesson: if you want to be on the beeding edge, you'd better be willing to bleed.

I would prefer to keep all my applications running smoothly, so I wait and let some OTHER schlub on the bleeding edge learn my lessons for me... like you, for instance.

It works like a charm.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Arnold PistoriusRe: After Effect 9.0.2 freezes on doing ANYTHING. Snow Leopard? Help!
by on Sep 22, 2009 at 10:27:12 pm

I am having the same issues, I recently did the upgrade to snow leopard clean install, If I try and replace footage, or drag the same footage into the project window, i get that wonderful colour ball, I thought the issues was corruption because at the same time i replaced my Drives, but I did multiple tests, from new source material and the same thing is happening.

I would avoid snow leopard for now unless someone knows of a fix this means, Time to travel back to normal Os.X, Time machine would have been a good choice.

Return to posts index

Glen WaldisRe: After Effect 9.0.2 freezes on doing ANYTHING. Snow Leopard? Help!
by on Oct 2, 2009 at 7:01:18 am

Exactly the same problem here. Mainly on importing some quicktime movies. Had me going back to Leopard. Hope there's an 9.0.3 update that fixes this!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]