ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Does COLLECT FILES copy or move source material?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ty FreyDoes COLLECT FILES copy or move source material?
by on Sep 18, 2009 at 10:59:45 pm

Have a huge AE (CS3) project with 20+ comps, most were carried over from FCP using Autoduck.

I'd like to COPY the entire AE project to another drive, to render on another machine while I continue to work. If I use the "collect files" command, will it move my original source files (I don't want this), or will it copy them to the new location (I DO want this)?

I'd like to keep the source material undisturbed in its organizational glory. I don't suppose this action is undo-able so I wanted to ask first. The help file seemed unclear on this issue, or maybe I have poor reading comprehension.

Thank you!

Ty

Return to posts index

alexandre brasoRe: Does COLLECT FILES copy or move source material?
by on Sep 18, 2009 at 11:33:17 pm

The collect files will do exactly that you want, copy your files and donĀ“t touch your original files.
be atention to your project folders organization, the copy of your project will follow de organization of the project and not the organization of your original files.

Alexandre Braso
http://www.pixelsrender.com.br

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Does COLLECT FILES copy or move source material?
by on Sep 18, 2009 at 11:58:41 pm

hi ty,

it will copy material to the new location.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Does COLLECT FILES copy or move source material?
by on Sep 19, 2009 at 12:11:39 am

What part of the Help document is unclear? I'd be happy to fix it. Here are the first two paragraphs from the page about Collect Files:

"The Collect Files command gathers copies of all of the files in a project or composition into a single location. Using this command is a useful step before rendering, for archiving, or for moving a project to a different computer system or user account.

When you use the Collect Files command, After Effects creates a new folder in which it saves a new copy of the project, copies of the footage files, proxy files as specified, and a report describing the files, effects, and fonts necessary to re-create the project and render the compositions."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

Ty FreyRe: Does COLLECT FILES copy or move source material?
by on Sep 19, 2009 at 1:14:34 am

Perfect! Thanks everyone!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]