ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Masking / Reveal

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Emanuel Cohen
Masking / Reveal
on Sep 18, 2009 at 5:01:11 pm

Hey,

I'm trying to do a little animation with the logo that is displayed on this page : http://www.26lettres.com

What I want to do is to mask the whole thing, and make both parts "reveal" following the curve... sort of like a "fill up" effect...

Is there a way to get a nice and flowing result, without having to keyframe the whole thing, it's a vector shape, is there a way to make aftereffects follow the shape ?? to reveal it

Thanks!!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Masking / Reveal
on Sep 18, 2009 at 5:15:21 pm

Oh, just bite the bullet and keyframe a couple of masks, one for each part of the logo. It won't kill you.

If you wanted to do something fun with just the edges of the logo, the fact that it's vector would be extremely helpful. But you don't, so it's not helpful in that regard.

Alternately, you could make a nice mask path down the center of each part, and reveal by using the stroke effect.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Emanuel Cohen
on Sep 18, 2009 at 8:40:02 pm

the stroke effect gives me a nice result but the brush is round wich reveals the shape with a curvy line segment, is there a way to manage and choose brush types for this effect?

thanks

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 18, 2009 at 9:36:39 pm

[Emanuel Cohen] "...is there a way to manage and choose brush types for this effect? "

Sorry, no. But you CAN use a workaround... as long as you want it to look like a square brush and not a round one.

Make a SQUARE solid as big as your stroke width. Copy the Mask Path for the stroke into the solid's position property. Adjust the newly-created position keyframes to match the stroke's timing. Then apply the Orient Along path command to the solid. I think it's under the Layer Menu. Adjust the solid's rotation to get it oriented properly.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Emanuel Cohen
on Sep 18, 2009 at 10:18:41 pm

ahhhhh not bad! i totally understand what you mean, however I'm a beginner and I don't know where to apply, or which layers to select etc etc to make your suggestion work...

maybe you could explain it to me in details (please :))

I currently have a layer for each side, both have the Stroke effect properly working, excpet with that curvy edge... how do I start what you just explained above?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]